21 December 1991
|Alma mater||Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania|
|Known for||Chairman of Inter Milan|
|Board member of||Inter Milan (chairman)|
Suning Real Estate (minor shareholder)
Steven Zhang is one of the most influential young business leaders in China and has featured in Fortune China magazine's '40 Under 40'list for the last two consecutive years.
In October 2018, Steven Zhang became the youngest ever President of Football Club Internazionale Milano S.p.A., known as Inter or Inter Milan . Having been instrumental in Suning Holding Group’s acquisition of Inter in 2016 , he then held a position on the Board and took over the management of operations for the club.
In 2019, Inter's enterprise value rose over 41% to EUR 692 million, the highest growth of any club in Europe. Inter is also ranked in the Top 10 for Club Stadia (Venue Performance).
Since March 2018 Steven Zhang has been on the UEFA Club Competitions Committee and is the only member from Asia. In September 2019, he was nominated as a member of the European Club Association (ECA) Executive Board, the body established in 2008 and recognised by UEFA and FIFA, representing the interests of professional association football clubs in Europe. He is the first Chinese representative among 24 members of the Board.
As the President of Suning International, Steven Zhang has the ultimate responsibility for spearheading the business's international expansion and future ambitions. Suning International is part of Suning Holdings Group – the commercial giant ranked second among the top 500 non-state owned enterprises in China with annual revenues of RMB 557.875 billion (approximately EUR 70 billion) and the owners of Suning.com, a smart retail subsidiary currently ranked China's most valuable retail brand and listed on the Fortune Global 500 List of the world’s largest companies for three successive years, with a total brand value of RMB 269.198 billion (approximately EUR 34 billion) and an operating income in excess of USD 37 billion (approximately EUR 33 billion).
Steven Zhang has run Suning International since 2016 and opened the office in Milan in the first half of 2018, which was seen as a catalyst for Suning International's European growth. In this time, cooperation agreements have been signed with Italian trade institutions, brands and enterprises, including a strategic partnership with the Italian Trade Agency (ITA) signed during the China-Italy state visit in March 2019. Beyond Europe, Suning has an established global network covering Hong Kong SAR, Macao SAR, Japan and the US. Under Mr. Steven Zhang’s guidance and expertise, the business forecasts that approximately 30% of its revenue will come from international business by 2020.
In 2020, Suning.com is expected to launch the first ever Suning International high-end smart store in Shanghai, designed to be a fashion centre that gathers overseas niche, luxury brands from Europe, Japan and South Korea.
Suning International has also announced plans to open 150 new experiential stores in the next three years, designed to provide a gateway for Chinese consumers to access and be inspired by different lifestyle around the globe.
Zhang is the son of Chinese billionaire Zhang Jindong, founder and chairman of the Suning Holdings Group, which started from a specialty retail store in China on 26th December 1990 and quickly transformed into a leading national chain. Today, Suning operates across diversified industries: Suning.com (Retail), Logistics, Financial Services, Technology, Real Estate, Sports, Media & Entertainment, and Investment. He joined the board of directors of Inter Milan on 28 June 2016 after Suning purchased the majority stake in Inter. On 26 October 2018, Zhang became the youngest ever chairman of Inter Milan. on September 2019 Zhang elected to the board of the European Club Association .
Steven Zhang enrolled in the Nanjing Foreign Language School before his studies took him to the USA and the prestigious Mercersburg Academy in Pennsylvania, where he was recognized as a Presidential Scholar and became a cum laude graduate. He went on to become a Dean’s List recipient of The Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia. Steven Zhang specialized in finance and e-commerce and graduated with a Bachelor’s degree in Economics.
- 国米官宣张康阳担任主席 26岁成历史最年轻主席. Sina Tech (in Chinese). 26 October 2018. Retrieved 30 October 2018.
- "STEVEN ZHANG NAMED PRESIDENT OF FC INTERNAZIONALE MILANO S.P.A." (Press release). Inter Milan. 26 October 2018. Retrieved 30 October 2018.
- "Inter Milan appoint Zhang as club president". ESPN.com. 2018-10-26. Retrieved 2019-08-29.
- "Soccer: Steven Zhang is new president of Inter - English". ANSA.it. 26 October 2018. Retrieved 31 December 2019.
- "China's Suning buying majority stake in Inter Milan for $307 million". Reuters. 6 June 2016. Retrieved 31 December 2019.
- "Steven Zhang has been nominated as a Member of the ECA Executive Board". FC Internazionale - Inter Milan. Retrieved 31 December 2019.
- "Zhang becomes first Chinese member of ECA board". SportBusiness. 11 September 2019. Retrieved 31 December 2019.
- "BRIEF-Suning Opens Milan Office In Euro-Expansion Plans". Reuters. 17 April 2018. Retrieved 31 December 2019.
- Group, Suning Holdings. "China's retail giant Suning signs deals with overseas brands at China's International Import Expo". www.prnewswire.com. Retrieved 31 December 2019.
- "Suning inks new deal with Italian Trade Agency - Chinadaily.com.cn". www.chinadaily.com.cn. Retrieved 31 December 2019.
- Group, Suning Holdings. "Suning International Partnered with Italian Trade Agency, to Provide 'Authentic Italian' for Chinese Consumers". www.prnewswire.com. Retrieved 31 December 2019.
- "F.C. INTERNAZIONALE SHAREHOLDERS' MEETING" (Press release). Inter Milan. 28 June 2016. Retrieved 30 October 2018.
- Fumo, Stefania (27 October 2018). Written at Rome. Yang Yi (ed.). "China's Steven Zhang appointed new Inter president". Beijing. Xinhua News Agency. Retrieved 30 October 2018.
- "Inter President Zhang Elected To ECA Board"