Zerelda Amanda Mimms James (July 21, 1845 – November 13, 1900) was the first cousin and wife of Jesse James.
Zerelda Mimms James
Zerelda Amanda Mimms
July 21, 1845
|Died||November 13, 1900 (aged 55)|
Kansas City, Missouri
|Known for||Wife of Jesse James|
She and Jesse James married on April 24, 1874, while the James-Younger Gang was still in full force. Of the Jameses and Youngers, Jesse was the first to marry. Zerelda and Jesse had two surviving children:
Mimms died November 13, 1900 in Kansas City, Missouri. She was buried at Mount Olivet Cemetery in Kearney, Missouri. Eighteen months after her death, her husband's body was moved from the James family farm to rest next to hers.
Portrayal in filmsEdit
- 2007: In The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford by Mary-Louise Parker
- 2001: In American Outlaws by Ali Larter
- 1995: In Frank and Jesse by Maria Pitillo
- 1980: In The Long Riders by Savannah Smith Boucher
- 1949: In I Shot Jesse James by Barbara Woodell
- 1957: In The True Story of Jesse James by Hope Lange
- 1953: In The Great Jesse James Raid by Barbara Woodell
- 1939: In Jesse James by Nancy Kelly
- 1927: In Jesse James by Nora Lane
- 1921: In Jesse James as the Outlaw by Marguerite Hungerford
- "Henry Lafayette BARR/Mary Susan JAMES". STRAY LEAVES, A JAMES FAMILY IN AMERICA SINCE 1650. Retrieved 2009-03-23.
- Weiser, Kathy (September 2017). "Zee James – Jesse's "Poor" Wife". Legends of America. Retrieved 13 May 2018.
- Boggs, Johnny D. (10 June 2011). Jesse James and the Movies. McFarland Publishing. p. 32. ISBN 9780786484966.