Zee Entertainment Enterprises (formerly Zee Telefilms) is an Indian media conglomerate. Headquartered in Mumbai, it has interests in television, print, internet, film, mobile content and allied businesses. It operates 45 channels worldwide.
|Founded||15 December 1991|
|Fate||To be merged with Sony Pictures Networks India|
|Subhash Chandra (Chairman)|
Punit Goenka (CEO)
|Products||Broadcasting, films, music, streaming, web portals|
|Revenue||₹8,413 crore (US$1.1 billion) (2020)|
|₹1,103 crore (US$150 million) (2020)|
|₹527 crore (US$70 million) (2020)|
|Total assets||₹12,373 crore (US$1.6 billion) (2020)|
Number of employees
|Footnotes / references|
The company was launched on 15 December 1991 as Zee Telefilms, brand name that was retained until 2006.
Zee Telefilms launched a Nickelodeon-branded programming block in 1999 as part of a distribution deal between Viacom International and Zee Telefilms. It was replaced by a new Cartoon Network block in 2002.
In 2002, the company acquired a majority stake (51%) in ETC Networks. In 2006, they acquired Integrated Subscriber Management Services Limited, and in November 2006, it acquired an 50% stake in Taj television, owner of TEN Sports. On that same year, the company was rebranded as Zee Entertainment Enterprises.
In February 2010, the business acquired an additional stake (95%) in TEN Sports.
In 2008, Zee Networks launched Zee Motion Pictures and Zee Limelight (now Zee Studios) for the development, production, distribution and marketing of mainstream films in Indian languages, including Hindi, Malayalam, Tamil, Telegu, Kannada, Bengali and Marathi. Some of Zee Studios's productions include Gadar: Ek Prem Katha, Natsamrat, Sairat and Rustom.
In May 2011, Star Den entered into a 50/50 joint venture with Zee Turner and Zee Entertainment Enterprises (ZEEL) to distribute and market all channels owned by the company and ZEEL, their respective affiliated channels and other third-party channels in India, Nepal and Bhutan.
It also owns a music label, Zee Music Company.
In 2015 Zee acquired Sarthak TV, an Odia-language pay-television channel. One year later, on 28 July 2016, it launched Zee One, aimed at the German market. A Polish version of the channel was launched in 2017.
In 2016, Zee launched Zee Mundo, a Spanish-language Bollywood movie channel targeting Latin America.
In 2017, the company acquired the majority stake of the Reliance Broadcast Network. It also planned to acquire 9X Media in October 2017 for the cost of ₹160 crore, however the plan fell through in March 2018. A partially-owned subsidiary, Diligent Media Corporation, is a publisher of Indian daily newspapers and websites. DMC is a joint venture between Zee and the Dainik Bhaskar Group.
Top Sony officials including Mike Hopkins, chairman of Sony Pictures Television, and Tony Vinciquerra, chairman of Sony Pictures, had visited Subhash Chandra and his family at his residence shortly after Chandra announced his intent to sell half of the promoter holding in Zee Entertainment Enterprises to a global strategic investor.
On April 2 reports said that some other promoters were willing to sell their shares worth ₹332 crore.
On April 3 media reported Sony and Zee Entertainment Enterprises deal off amid valuation differences which opened the door for Comcast-Atairos.
In September 2021 it was reported that Invesco Developing Markets Funds and OFI Global China Fund LLC, who jointly holds 17.88% stake, wanted Punit Goenka (also son of founder) to step-down as MD and CEO. It was also reported that Essel Group owns a sum of 3.99% minority stake.
Merger with Sony Pictures Networks IndiaEdit
Zee Entertainment announced that its board had approved its merger with Sony Pictures Networks India. Sony Pictures will hold a majority stake in the proposed merged entity, which will be headed by Zee’s Punit Goenka. In December 2021, it was announced board meeting approved the merger with Sony Pictures Networks India, with both companies signing definitive agreements to merge their TV networks, digital assets, production operations and program libraries. Sony will hold a stake close to 51% in the company, with Zee controlling the remaining stake.
Dispute between promotersEdit
In 11 September 2021 Invesco asked Zee management to call an "extraordinary general meeting" (EGM) of shareholders to consider its demands. One of main demand was removal of Punit Goenka , son of the Zee Network founder. However Zee board rejects demand from Invesco to convene extraordinary general meeting. Invesco Developing Market Funds Moves to National Company Law Tribunal (NCLT) and Bombay High Court seeking mandatory order for Zee Enterprises Entertainment Limited (ZEEL) to call the extraordinary general meeting (EGM) that the shareholder has been demanding.
OFI Global China Fund, who also moved the NCLT along with Invesco, remarked at the hearing that the meeting that Zee Entertainment board had conducted on October 1 was just a legal formality and that it's a classic case of Forum shopping.
In October 11, 2021 Invesco write an open letter to the other share holders saying they are disappointed that the leadership of Zee has resorted to a reckless public relations campaign in response to the overwhelming demand from shareholders for leadership changes at Zee network. also they implemented that they tried to merge Zee with some other Indian company on early 2021 but Zee board rejected it.
Zee Board replied to Invesco's open letter saying they didn't care about the company, and Invesco is not motivated by concerns related to any corporate governance issue but "by the events that transpired during February–April 2021 pointing Invesco purposed deal with Reliance Industries.
Reliance Industries Ltd (RIL) said it proposed to merge all its media properties with Zee Entertainment at fair valuations during discussions in February and March 2021 that US investment firm Invesco helped arrange with managing director and member of the founding family of the media and entertainment company.
In October 21 Bombay High Court asks Zee board to call EGM as demanded by shareholder Invesco, and Counsel appearing for Zee Entertainment said the company will inform the date of the EGM by the morning of October 22.
in October 22 Zee replied to court that the board can’t give nod to something that will turn out to be illegal. so HC postponed hearing of the Zee-Invesco matter to October 26.and in October 26 Bombay High Court has restrained Invesco from taking any action in furtherance of their requisition notice (to call an EGM).
In December 07th Invesco heading towards a resolution expected to back the merger deal with Sony as long as the Goenka family does not get any preferential equity.
In December 22nd Board of Zee signed definitive agreements with Sony after received approval from its board of directors
Zee Music vs Sonu NigamEdit
|Zee TV||1992||Hindi||General Entertainment||SD+HD|
|Zee Anmol Cinema||2016|
|Zee Café||2000||English||General Entertainment||SD+HD|
|Zee Zest||2010||Hindi, English||Lifestyle||SD+HD||Formerly Living Foodz and Zee Khana Khazana|
|Zee Bangla||1999||Bengali||General Entertainment||SD+HD||Formerly Alpha TV Bangla|
|Zee Bangla Cinema||2012||Movies||SD|
|Zee Ganga||2013||Bhojpuri||General Entertainment||Formerly Big Ganga|
|Zee Kannada||2006||Kannada||General Entertainment||SD+HD|
|Zee Keralam||2018||Malayalam||General Entertainment|
|Zee Marathi||1999||Marathi||Formerly Alpha TV Marathi|
|Zee Sarthak||2010||Odia||General Entertainment||Formerly Sarthak TV|
|Zee Punjabi||2020||Punjabi||Formerly Alpha TV Punjabi|
|Zee Tamil||2008||Tamil||General Entertainment||SD+HD|
|Zee Telugu||2004||Telugu||General Entertainment||Formerly Alpha TV Telugu|
|Zee World||2015||English||General Entertainment||SD|
|Zee One (Africa)||2021|
|Zee Magic||2015||French||General Entertainment|
|Zee Alwan||2012||Arabic||General Entertainment|
|Zee Nung||2014||Thai||General Entertainment|
|Zee Next||2007||2009||Hindi||General Entertainment||SD|
|Zindagi||2014||2017||Only digitally available now|
|Zee Smile||2004||2016||Formerly Smile TV|
|9X||2007||2015||Acquired from 9X Media|
|Zee Premier||2006||2015||Movies||Formerly Premier Cinema|
|Zee Muzic||1997||2009||Music||Replaced with Zing TV|
|Zee ETC Bollywood||1999||2020||Formerly ETC and ETC Bollywood|
|Zee Khana Khazana||2010||2015||Lifestyle||Replaced with Living Foodz|
|Zee Studio||2005||2018||English||Movies||Formerly Zee MGM and Zee Movie Zone|
|Zee Trendz||2003||2014||Lifestyle||Formerly Trendz TV|
|Living Foodz||2015||2020||English, Hindi||Lifestyle||SD+HD||Replaced with Zee Zest|
|Zee Gujarati||2000||2009||Gujarati||General Entertainment||SD||Formerly Alpha TV Gujarati|
|Zee ETC Punjabi||2001||2014||Punjabi||Formerly ETC Punjabi|
|Zee One||2016||2020||German||General Entertainment|
Over The Top (OTT)Edit
In 14 February 2018, the service Rebranded as ZEE5. since its Relaunch as Zee5 stream all content from its television network and also stream Movies and Original Series.ZEE5 claimed 56 million monthly active users in December 2019.
- cricket country
- the health site
- Zee Live
- Super moon , Arth , Edu care , It’s A Girl Thing
- Zee Theatre
Film distribution And musicEdit
- Malvania, Urvi (24 August 2016). "We want to Transform into an all round media company punit goenka". Business Standard. Retrieved 22 July 2017.
- "Zee Entertain Share Price, Zee Entertain Stock Price, Zee Entertainment Enterprises Ltd. Stock Price, Share Price, Live BSE/NSE, Zee Entertainment Enterprises Ltd. Bids Offers. Buy/Sell Zee Entertainment Enterprises Ltd. news & tips, & F&O Quotes, NSE/BSE Forecast News and Live Quotes". www.moneycontrol.com.
- "Investors want MD Punit Goenka out of Zee Entertainment Enterprises - the New Indian Express".
- "Zee's FY19 earnings may aid better valuation". www.fortuneindia.com.
- "ZEE TV TO LAUNCH NICKELODEON". 11 October 1999. Retrieved 21 June 2017.
- "Cartoon Network block replaces Nick on Zee TV". 14 August 2002. Retrieved 19 September 2017.
- "Zee Group launches two motion picture production banners". Business of Cinema. 2008.
- "Zee Entertainment acquires Sarthak Entertainment - Exchange4media". Indian Advertising Media & Marketing News – exchange4media.
- Bindu D Menon. "Zee buys Anil Ambani's TV, radio biz for ₹1,900 cr | Business Line". Thehindubusinessline.com. Retrieved 23 November 2017.
- "Zee to acquire 9X Media, its arms for ₹160 cr". The Hindu Business Line. 6 October 2017. Retrieved 18 November 2017.
- "ZEE terminates 9X Media acquisition".
- "Indian Newspapers and News Sites". w3newspapers.com. Retrieved 18 October 2014.
- Laghate, Gaurav; Barman, Arijit. "Zee Entertainment: Comcast-Atairos, Sony shortlisted for stake sale talks by Zee Entertainment". The Economic Times.
- "Zee Entertainment shares wobble after share sale by promoters". The Economic Times.
- "Zee Entertainment Down 3% After Promoters Sell Stake". Moneycontrol.
- Laghate, Gaurav; Barman, Arijit. "Sony Corporation: Sony, ZEE deal off for now amid valuation differences". The Economic Times.
- Thomas, Tanya (31 July 2019). "Invesco Oppenheimer fund to buy 11% stake in Zee Entertainment for ₹4,224 cr". www.livemint.com.
- "Sony Pictures India to Merge With Zee Entertainment". www.hollywoodreporter.com. Retrieved 21 September 2021.
- "Zee Entertainment- Sony India merger". Zee News. Retrieved 22 September 2021.
- "Zee Entertainment Approves In-principle Merger With Sony Pictures India". Moneycontrol. Retrieved 21 October 2021.
- "Sony Pictures Networks, Zee Complete Merger to Create Indian TV Giant". Variety. 22 December 2021. Retrieved 22 December 2021.
- "Zee Entertainment's Largest Shareholders Call EGM Seeking Removal Of Punit Goenka From Board". Moneycontrol. Retrieved 21 October 2021.
- "Zee Says Will Not Hold EGM As Demanded By Shareholder Invesco". Moneycontrol. Retrieved 21 October 2021.
- "Zee-Invesco NCLT Hearing: Invesco Says NCLT Must Make A Mandatory Order To Call EGM". Moneycontrol. Retrieved 21 October 2021.
- Chatterjee, Sudipto Dey & Dev (4 October 2021). "Prolonged battle ahead as ZEE Entertainment takes Invesco to court". Business Standard India. Retrieved 21 October 2021.
- "Invesco Shoots Letter To Zee Shareholders, Seeks Better Governance, Says Founding Family Benefiting At The Cost Of Others". Moneycontrol. Retrieved 21 October 2021.
- "Zee Hits Back At Invesco's Open Letter, Rebuts Objections On Sony Merger Deal". Moneycontrol. Retrieved 21 October 2021.
- "Invesco Proposed Merger With Large Indian Group In Feb 2021, Wanted Punit Goenka To Lead: Zee". Moneycontrol. Retrieved 21 October 2021.
- "Bombay HC Asks Zee To Call EGM As Demanded By Shareholder Invesco". Moneycontrol. Retrieved 21 October 2021.
- Upadhyay, Payaswini. "Zee Vs Invesco: Bombay High Court Proposes To Allow EGM, But..." BloombergQuint. Retrieved 21 October 2021.
- "Zee-Invesco Row: Zee Argues Holding EGM Is Illegal, Bombay HC To Hear The Matter On October 26". Moneycontrol. Retrieved 23 October 2021.
- "Zee-Invesco Row: A Look At What Happens Next After Bombay HC Bars Invesco From Calling EGM". Moneycontrol. Retrieved 27 October 2021.
- Kar, Ayushi. "Invesco to back Zee-Sony deal as long as Punit Goenka is not given PE". @businessline. Retrieved 7 December 2021.
- "Zee-Sony Merger Approved, Punit Goenka Will Be CEO Of Merged Entity". NDTV.com. Retrieved 23 December 2021.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 1 May 2015. Retrieved 29 April 2015.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "News18.com: CNN News18 Latest News, Breaking News India, Current News Headlines". Ibnlive.in.com. Archived from the original on 1 May 2015. Retrieved 16 July 2017.
- "Sonu Nigam accuses music company of announcing ban on him". India Today. 29 April 2015. Retrieved 8 October 2018.
- "Zee announces return of content brand Zindagi on Zee5". www.bestmediaifo.com. Retrieved 16 May 2021.
- Pai, Vivek (26 February 2016). "Zee Digital launches online streaming platform OZEE". MediaNama. Retrieved 11 October 2021.
- Ahluwalia, Harveen (14 February 2018). "Zee Entertainment launches new video streaming platform Zee5". mint. Retrieved 11 October 2021.
- https://plus.google.com/107324234873078450867 (15 January 2019). "ZEE5 maintains momentum with 56.3 mn MAU in third quarter". Indian Television Dot Com. Retrieved 11 October 2021.
- "Platforms – Digital – ZEE Entertainment Corporate Website". www.zee.com. Retrieved 11 October 2021.
- "Businesses – Live Entertainment – ZEE Entertainment Corporate Website". www.zee.com. Retrieved 11 October 2021.
- "ZEE Studios sets November 11 for the theatrical release of their next Punjabi film Fuffad Ji". EasternEye. 28 September 2021. Retrieved 11 October 2021.
- "POPUP". helpcenter.zee5.com. Retrieved 11 October 2021.
- Joseph, Anto T. "How a cruise business landed Zee's Subhash Chandra in uncharted waters". Newslaundry. Retrieved 11 October 2021.