|Elevation||152 m (499 ft)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
It lies on the southern slopes of the mountain Velebit, in the vicinity of the border between regions of Lika and Dalmatia. It is situated 4 kilometers north of Obrovac, 22 kilometers south-west of Gračac, and 45 kilometers north of Zadar.
Several hamlets were and some still are part of the village, including Bravarica, Čude-Gačine, Dominjak, Glavica, Grkovac-Brina, Jokići, Maričići-Glavica, Meki Doci, Modrići-Glavica, Modrići-Tomići, Podkosa, and Rastovac.
During the Croatian War of Independence, on 18 December 1991 one civilian of hamlet Modrići, Luka Modrić (grandfather of Croatian footballer Luka Modrić), was executed near his house during the night while he was returning from goat grazing, as well as six other elderly civilians in the near village of Jasenice, by Serb rebels who were part of the police of SAO Krajina. In 1993, between 26 January and 2 July, another seven Croat civilians of Zaton Obrovački were murdered: Petar Maričić, Ika Modrić, Anica Modrić, Marija Modrić, Milica Modrić, Ružica Modrić, and Marijan Modrić.
People from Zaton ObrovačkiEdit
- "Population according to age and sex in the villages of Jasenice municipality, census 2011" (in Croatian). Croatian Bureau of Statistics. Retrieved 2014-09-02.
- Ivana Jakelić, Frane Šarić (30 June 2014). "Bivse milicajce u Srbiji će ispitati i o likvidaciji djeda Luke Modrića" [Former policemen in Serbia will be examined for the liquidation of grandfather of the Luka Modrić] (in Serbo-Croatian). Večernji list. Retrieved 25 June 2018.
- Karlo Ledinski (3 June 2017). "Četnici su Luki Modriću ubili djeda i zapalili kuću" [Chetniks killed grandfather of Luka Modrić and burned his house] (in Croatian). Večernji list. Retrieved 25 June 2018.
- Holiga, Aleksandar (4 October 2012). "Real Madrid's Luka Modric: from Balkan warzone to the Bernabéu". The Guardian. Retrieved 14 July 2017.
- Ljiljana Jurjević (24 January 2014). "Kapelica sjećanja na stradale Zatonjane" (in Serbo-Croatian). Zadarski list. Retrieved 25 June 2018.
- "Gotovina honorary Citizen of Jasenice, awards to Pršo and Modrić (At the 30. session of municipal Council of Municipality of Jasenice)" (in Croatian). Zadarski list. 2012-12-07. Retrieved 2014-09-02.