|Founder(s)||N. Venkatrama Naidu|
|City||Nellore, Andhra Pradesh|
The publication was started by Nellore Venkatrama Naidu as Zamindari Ryot (Landlord and Peasant), before changing its name to Zamin Ryot in 1930. Originally meant to advocate against the feudal system in the area, it played an important role in reporting on the success of the Salt Satyagraha in Nellore district. The government searched Naidu's house in 1941, officially on the basis that it spread anti-war propaganda, and press restrictions during World War II lead to the paper being suspended voluntarily in late 1942. By 1993, it was identified as a mainly regional and pro-Congress publication. For example. during the reign of N. T. Rama Rao as chief minister the publication often criticised and mocked him with "dripping sarcasm".
In 2019, editor Dolendra Prasad was attacked by MLA Kotamreddy Sridhar Reddy of Nellore Rural district in retaliation for a negative story on him. Prasad later expressed concerns that other attacks on journalists in Andhra Pradesh, inaction by the government on his attack, and a law passed by the cabinet allowing the government to sue media organisations for "distorted news" would lead to a chilling effect on journalism.
- Subramanyam, K. (1984). The Press and the National Movement in South India, Andhra, 1905–1932. New Era Publications. p. 165. Archived from the original on 2 May 2022. Retrieved 6 December 2021.
- Somasekhara, G. (1 December 1993). The Role Telugu Press In The Indian Freedom Movement (Thesis). Sri Venkateswara University. Archived from the original on 5 September 2021. Retrieved 5 September 2021.
- Somasekhara, Dr G. (2018). TELUGU PRESS AND INDIAN FREEDOM MOVEMENT. Lulu.com. p. 182. ISBN 978-1-387-76595-9. Archived from the original on 2 May 2022. Retrieved 5 September 2021.
- Ramesh, Kandula (2021). Maverick Messiah: A Political Biography of N.T. Rama Rao. Gurgaon, Haryana, India: Ebury Press. p. 210. ISBN 978-0-670-09393-9. OCLC 1237107554.
- "YSRC MLA booked for 'attacking' weekly editor". The New Indian Express. Archived from the original on 5 September 2021. Retrieved 5 September 2021.
- Nichenametla, Prasad (28 October 2019). "How Jagan is putting Andhra's development in 'jeopardy' due to his obsession with Naidu". ThePrint. Archived from the original on 5 September 2021. Retrieved 5 September 2021.