Zahar Efimenko (Ukrainian: Захар Єфименко; born 3 July 1985) is a Ukrainian chess grandmaster. He was a member of the gold medal-winning Ukrainian team at the 2010 Chess Olympiad. Efimenko competed in the FIDE World Cup in 2005, 2009 and 2011.
|Born||3 July 1985|
Makiivka, Ukrainian SSR, Soviet Union
|FIDE rating||2632 (June 2019)|
|Peak rating||2708 (March 2011)|
In 1999 Efimenko won the U-14 division of the World Youth Chess Championships in Oropesa del Mar, Spain. In the same year he was a member of the Ukrainian national youth team, which won the U-16 Chess Olympiad in Artek, Ukraine.
Efimenko has won several chess tournaments since then, among them the 2001 Stork Young Masters in Hengelo, Netherlands. In 2005 he tied for 1st–5th with Levon Aronian, Kiril Georgiev, Alexei Shirov and Emil Sutovsky in the Gibraltar Chess Festival. He became champion of Ukraine in 2006. In 2007, he tied for 1st–6th with Vitali Golod, Mateusz Bartel, Yuri Yakovich, Michael Roiz and Mikhail Kobalia in the 16th Monarch Assurance Isle of Man International tournament. In May 2010, he tied for 1st–2nd with Victor Bologan in the 40th Bosna International Tournament in Sarajevo. At the 39th Chess Olympiad, held later in the same year in Khanty-Mansiysk, Efimenko won the team gold medal and an individual silver playing board 4. In July 2013, he tied for 1st–4th with Igor Kurnosov, Mikhailo Oleksienko and Avetik Grigoryan in the Masters tournament of the Abu Dhabi Chess Festival. In 2015, Efimenko tied for 1st–3rd with Andrei Volokitin and Martyn Kravtsiv in the Ukrainian championship in Lviv.
- "Ukraine wins Chess Olympiad 2010 (updated)". Chessdom. Retrieved 2017-08-07.
- 5th World Youth U16 Chess Olympiad: Artek 1999
- FIDE Online: "Archive - Tournament report October 2001". FIDE. Archived from the original on 2007-08-06. Retrieved 2008-04-02.
- Crowther, Mark (7 February 2005). "The Week in Chess 535: Gibtele.com Masters International". London Chess Center. Archived from the original on 20 April 2013. Retrieved 26 January 2012.
- Crowther, Mark (2007-10-01). "TWIC 673: 16th Monarch Assurance Isle of Man". London Chess Center. Retrieved 21 May 2010.
- "The Week in Chess: 40th Bosna International 2010". Chess.co.uk. Archived from the original on 1 April 2012. Retrieved 16 May 2010.
- "Kurnosov wins 20th Abu Dhabi Chess Festival 2013". Chess News. 2013-07-08. Retrieved 2017-08-07.
- "GM Andrei Volokitin is the 2015 Ukraine Chess Champion". Chessdom. 2015-12-14. Retrieved 2017-08-07.