Yuzhne (Ukrainian: Ю́жне, formerly: Южний, Yuzhny, translated as "southern" n. adj.) is a port city in Odessa Raion, Odessa Oblast (province) of south-western Ukraine. It is situated on the country's Black Sea coast. Population: 32,724 (2020 est.)
Myru Avenue - the central street of the city
|Elevation||34 m (112 ft)|
|Time zone||UTC+2 (EET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+3 (EEST)|
Initially created as a settlement of the Odessa Portside Plant in the Hryhorivka Estuary, since 1981 it was transformed into a suburb of Odessa within the Suvorovsky District of the city. From the Southern Marine Terminal of the city port, the Odessa–Brody pipeline takes its beginning towards the Western Ukraine.
The city's port is an internationally important oil terminal, and one of Ukraine's top three ports, with Odessa and Chornomorsk. In fact, these three nearby port cities have grown into a single conurbation, and Yuzhne is considered a satellite of Odessa.
The city is located about 32 kilometers (20 miles) east of Odessa. Although it sounds awkwardly in Ukrainian, the city's name has not changed since Ukraine obtained its independence. The Ukrainian term for "Southern" would be Pivdenne.
Nonetheless, on 11 May 1978 by the order of the Presidium of Verkhovna Rada of Ukrainian SSR the newly built populated place was given the name of the village Yuzhne. Starting from this event the place takes its beginning. In February 1993 the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine declared to give the urbanized village a special status in the Odessa Oblast as a city of oblast significance. In 2000 the declaration of Verkhovna Rada #1914-III confirmed the city limits.
|Climate data for Yuzhne|
|Daily mean °C (°F)||−1.9
|Average precipitation mm (inches)||36
Yuzhne is home to the team BC Khimik in the Ukrainian Basketball Superleague, league champions in the 2014/15 season. Yuzhne is also home to the "BK Khimik" women's volleyball team, Ukrainian champions in 2010/11 and 2011/12. The handball team named HC Portovik plays in the highest men's League.
- Official site of the city
- Information portal of Yuzhny Yuzhny on-line
- Telefon directory of Yuzhny
- Description, news, catalog of enterprises of Yuzhny
- Internet portal of Yuzhny Archived 31 July 2009 at the Wayback Machine
- "Чисельність наявного населення України (Actual population of Ukraine)" (PDF) (in Ukrainian). State Statistics Service of Ukraine. Retrieved 30 September 2020.
- "Climate: Yuzhne". Climate-Data.org. Retrieved 4 May 2014.
- Information portal of Yuzhny town (in Russian)
- Website of the Port of Yuzhny (in English and Russian)