Muhammad Yusuf ibn Suleman ibn Qasim Motala (25 November 1946 – 8 September 2019) was a British Indian Sunni Muslim scholar, founder of Darul Uloom Bury and one of the disciples of Muhammad Zakariya Kandhlawi.
|Born||25 November 1946|
|Died||9 September 2019 (aged 72)|
|Alma mater||Mazahir Uloom, Saharanpur|
|Founder of||Darul Uloom Bury|
Early life and educationEdit
Motala was born in Nani Naroli in Gujarat, British India, on 25 November 1946. He graduated from Mazahir Uloom, Saharanpur, where he studied under Muhammad Zakariyya Kandhlawi and Muhammad Yunus Jaunpuri.
Upon the instruction of Muhammad Zakariya Kandhlawi, Yusuf Motala established Darul Uloom Al-Arabiyyah Al-Islamiyyah in Holcombe, Bury, Lancashire, in 1973. He subsequently established several other educational institutes. He was included in the 2019 list of "The 500 Most Influential Muslims," published annually by the Royal Islamic Strategic Studies Centre.
He died in Toronto, Canada on 8 September 2019 following a heart attack.
Motala's works are:
- Aḍwā' al-Bayān fī Tarjamatul Qurʼān (Urdu translation of the Quran).
- ' Aimma Araba aur Sufia Kiram (Urdu)
- Juz' ʿAmma Tafsīr in Arabic (with Urdu and English Tarjumma)
- Arabic Khutbahs
- Hadyah-e-Haramain (Salaatus-Salaam Compilations - Arabic-Urdu)
- Buzurgon ke Wisal Ke Ahwaal (Urdu)
- Fitno se Hifazat ke liye Masnoon Duaaei (Urdu)
- Shaykh al-Ḥadīth, Ḥaḍrat Mawlānā Muḥammad Zakariyya saheb raḥmatullahe alayhe Aur Unke Khulafa Ikraam- Part 2 and Part 3 (Urdu)
- Inayat Naame (Urdu)
- Itaat-e-Rasool ﷺ (Urdu)
- Jamale Mohammadi ﷺ Jable Noor Pur (Urdu)
- Jamale Mohammadi ﷺ darse Bukhari ke Aaine mei - Vol 1 & 2 Combined (Urdu)
- Jamale Muhammadi ﷺ ki Jalwa Gahen - Vols 1 and 2 (Urdu)
- Jāmiʿ al-Siyar (Urdu)
- Karamat Wa Kamalat-e-Awliya - Volumes 1 and 2 (Urdu)
- Majmua e Darood o Salaam (Urdu)
- Mashaa'ikh Ahmadabad Volumes 1 and 2 (Urdu)
- Mere Bhai Jaan (Urdu)
- Muhabbat Naamay Volumes 1 and 2 (Urdu)
- Sham-o-Hind ke Awliya' ʿIzam (Urdu)
English translations of Shaykh Yusuf Motala's works are:
- Final Moments of the Pious (English Translation)
- Ḥaḍrat Shaykh and I (English)
- Miṣbāḥ al-Ẓalām fi al-Ṣalāt wa al-Salām ʿalā khayr al-Anām, compiled by Imām Nūr al-Dīn Al-Shūni (RA), emphasised by Ḥaḍrat Mawlānā Yūsuf Motālā ṣaheb (Englis /Arabic)
- 99 Names of Allah (Asmaaul-Husnaa) and 99 Attributes/Appellations of Prophet Muhammad ﷺ
- The Need for Simple Weddings (English)
- Sheikh Yusuf Motala - a pioneer of Islam in Britain - dies
- , Andrew Norfolk, Times Online, 10 September 2007.
- Ballard, Roger; Banks, Marcus (1994). Desh Pardesh: The South Asian Presence in Britain. ISBN 9781850650911.
- Mufti ARM. "Obituary to Mawlana Yusuf". themuslim500. Retrieved 5 May 2020.
- Inside Britain's Islamic Colleges, Dominic Casciani, BBC News Online, 15 January 2004.
- Police Harassment of Leading British Muslim Scholar Archived 3 December 2007 at the Wayback Machine, Iqbal Sacranie, MCB Press Release, 15 November 2003.
- "Books authored by Mawlānā Yūsuf Motālā". inter-islam.org. Retrieved 7 May 2020.
- "Hazrat Maulana Yusuf Motala Great Pioneer in the UK". baseeratonline. Retrieved 7 May 2020.
- Motala, Yusuf (7 May 2020). "Juz' ʿAmma Tafsīr" (PDF).
- "Books authored by our beloved Ḥaḍrat, Shaykh al-Ḥadīth, Ḥaḍrat Mawlānā Yūsuf Motālā ṣaheb (ENGLISH TRANSLATION OF URDU BOOKS/BOOKLETS)". Inter-Islam. 18 June 2020.