Young Democrats of America
This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (February 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The Young Democrats of America (YDA) was founded in 1932 as the official youth arm of the Democratic Party of the United States. YDA operates as a separate organization from the Democratic National Committee; following the passage of the Bipartisan Campaign Reform Act, it became an independent 527 group/"hybrid superPAC." The group's membership consists of Democrats ages 14–36, and its political activities tend to concentrate on increasing the voter turnout of young people and affecting the issues affecting that demographic group. It tends to be somewhat more focused on political activism than the party at large.
|Young Democrats of America|
|Founded||March 4, 1932|
|Mother party||Democratic Party|
|International affiliation||International Federation of Liberal Youth|
YDA membership elects seven national officers biannually at the organization's National Convention in odd-numbered years and two DNC representatives in even-numbered years. These officers maintain the day-to-day management of the organization. The officers were elected at the 2017 YDA National Convention in Dallas.
Between national conventions, the governing body of YDA is the National Committee which is composed of the president, the national committeeman and committeewoman of each chartered state federation, along with the chairs of the twelve constituency caucuses and the eight regional directors.
The President, Democratic National Committeeman, and Democratic National Committeewoman are automatic members of the Democratic National Committee, and superdelegates to any Democratic National Convention occurring during their terms.
2017–2019 National OfficersEdit
- President: Louis Elrod of Georgia
- Executive Vice President: Danielle Glover of Colorado
- 1st Vice President: Kristina Contreras Fox of Rhode Island
- 2nd Vice President: Daniel Sims of Arkansas
- 3rd Vice President: Kainoa Kaumeheiwa-Rego of Hawai'i
- Secretary: Quentin Wathum-Ocama of Minnesota
- Treasurer: Justin Meyers of California
2018–2020 National OfficersEdit
- Democratic National Committeeman: Morgan Jameson of Virginia
- Democratic National Committeewoman: Briana Cartwright of Florida
Democratic party leaders and Democratic elected officials who are alumni of YDA include:
National Convention, National Committee, and Chartered UnitsEdit
The YDA organization is composed of "chartered units" with one from each U.S. state or territory. YDA holds a National Convention every two years during the summer of odd-numbered years with complex rules for how many votes each chartered unit may cast. The YDA National Committee meets at least three times per year and consists of the President of each chartered unit, two representatives of different gender identities from each chartered unit, and a number of other officers and committee and caucus chairs.
Past National ConventionsEdit
Past YDA National Conventions were held in the below venues:
- 2017: Dallas, TX
- 2015: Los Angeles, CA
- 2013: San Antonio, TX
- 2011: Louisville, KY
- 2009: Chicago, IL
- 2007: Dallas, TX
- 2005: San Francisco, CA
- 2003: Buffalo, NY
- 2001: Tucson, AZ
- 1999: Little Rock, AR
- 1997: Miami, FL
- 1995: New Orleans, LA
- 1993: Merrillville, IN
- 1991: St Louis, MO
- "Young Democrats of America - Marin County Young Democrats". WordPress. Retrieved 2016-03-13.
- Connery, Michael. Youth to Power: How Today's Young Voters Are Building Tomorrow's Democratic Majority, ig Publishing, 2008 ISBN 978-0-9788431-3-7
- Steny Hoyer#Early political career