Kiowa Roukema (born 3 December 1999), professionally known as YoungKio, is a Dutch record producer. He is known for producing "Old Town Road", by American rapper Lil Nas X. Since the rise in popularity of "Old Town Road", YoungKio was signed by French record producer CashMoneyAP.
|Birth name||Kiowa Roukema|
|Born||3 December 1999|
2016–2018: Early careerEdit
YoungKio first started producing beats in 2016. He began producing on the popular digital audio workstation FL Studio, which his friend gifted to him. YoungKio's early and current influences include producers Wheezy and TM88. In his interview with Forbes, he stated, "In my opinion, I became good at it pretty fast." He began posting his type beats on YouTube and sold leases for US$30. With this money, he saved up to purchase a year-long membership to the beat store hosting platform BeatStars.
2018–present: Old Town RoadEdit
In 2018, one of YoungKio's beats was leased by Atlanta rapper Lil Nas X. The beat sampled the Nine Inch Nails song "Ghost IV – 34". The song was released independently on December 3, 2018, and gained popularity on social video sharing app TikTok.
Since the rise in popularity of "Old Town Road", YoungKio has done interviews with Forbes, GQ, and many other publications. He has also flown to Los Angeles to work with producers like CashMoneyAP, and to appear in the “Old Town Road” music video.
|"Old Town Road"||2018||Lil Nas X||7||Producer|
|"Old Town Road (Remix)"||2019||Lil Nas X featuring Billy Ray Cyrus|
|"Senorita"||Lil Tecca||We Love You Tecca|
- "The Austin company behind Lil Nas X's record-breaking 'Old Town Road'". Austin360. 29 July 2019. Retrieved 31 July 2019.
...and his producer Young Kio, who has signed a publishing deal with Universal...
- Cea, Max. "YoungKio, the Dutch Producer of Lil Nas X's "Old Town Road," Is Living His Dreams". GQ. GQ. Retrieved 23 April 2019.
- Kenny, Brody. "A conversation with YoungKio and Abe Batshon: "...The artist can just flip it and just make it into something completely different"". thefourohfive. The 405. Retrieved 10 May 2019.
- Lamarre, Carl. "'Old Town Road' Producer YoungKio on How Lil Nas X's Song Came to Life". Billboard. Billboard. Retrieved 28 March 2019.
- Payne, Ogden. "Meet YoungKio, The 19-Year-Old Netherlands Producer Behind 'Old Town Road'". Forbes. Forbes. Retrieved 30 May 2019.