You Can Tune a Piano, but You Can't Tuna Fish
You Can Tune a Piano, but You Can't Tuna Fish is the seventh studio album by REO Speedwagon, released in 1978. It was their first album to be co-produced by lead singer Kevin Cronin and lead guitarist Gary Richrath. The album was REO's first to make the Top 40, peaking at No. 29. The album sold over 2 million copies in the US, which led it to being certified 2× Platinum.
|You Can Tune a Piano, but You Can't Tuna Fish|
|Studio album by|
|Released||March 16, 1978|
|Recorded||1977–78 at Sound City Studios, Los Angeles, CA, vocals recorded at Record Plant Studios, Los Angeles, CA and Paragon Recording Studios, Chicago, IL|
|Producer||Kevin Cronin, Gary Richrath, Paul Grupp, John Boylan|
|REO Speedwagon chronology|
|Singles from You Can Tune a Piano, but You Can't Tuna Fish|
This is the first album to feature Bruce Hall on bass, replacing Gregg Philbin. In 2013, the album was released on CD by UK-based company Rock Candy Records, with expanded liner notes and photos.
The hits "Time for Me to Fly" and "Roll with the Changes" have since become two of the band's best-known songs. "Time for Me to Fly" was later covered in a bluegrass arrangement by Dolly Parton on her 1989 album White Limozeen. In 2005, the album cover was featured on Pitchfork's list of "The Worst Record Covers of All Time", and in 2014 its title was featured in NME's list of "The 50 Worst Album Titles in History". In 2020, Netflix's Ozark TV series third season episode, "Kevin Cronin was Here" featured "Time For Me To Fly", which resulted in the song making the top 40 on the Billboard Digital Songs Chart.
|1.||"Roll with the Changes"||Kevin Cronin||5:37|
|2.||"Time for Me to Fly"||Cronin||3:42|
|3.||"Runnin' Blind"||Debbie Mackron, Gary Richrath||3:08|
|4.||"Blazin' Your Own Trail Again"||Cronin||3:32|
|5.||"Sing to Me"||Richrath||2:34|
|6.||"Lucky for You"||Cronin, Richrath||5:02|
|7.||"Do You Know Where Your Woman Is Tonight?"||Richrath||2:53|
|8.||"The Unidentified Flying Tuna Trot" (Instrumental)||Richrath||2:17|
|9.||"Say You Love Me or Say Goodnight"||Cronin, Richrath||4:58|
- Kevin Cronin – lead and backing vocals, rhythm guitar, piano (track 1)
- Gary Richrath – lead and rhythm guitars
- Neal Doughty – piano (except track 1), Hammond organ, Moog synthesizer
- Bruce Hall – bass
- Alan Gratzer – drums
- Lon Price – saxophone (track 9)
- Angelle Trosclair, Denise McCall, Denny Henson, Tom Kelly – backing vocals
- Paul Grupp – producer, engineer
- John Boylan – executive producer
|United States||March 16, 1978||Epic||Stereo vinyl||E-35082|
|Japan||2011||Sony Music||CD (DSD-Remaster)||EICP 1488|
|United Kingdom||2013||Rock Candy Records||CD-24 bit audio
(Remastered & Reloaded)
- DeGagne, Mike. You Can Tune a Piano, but You Can't Tuna Fish at AllMusic
- "REO Speedwagon: You Can Tune A Piano, But You Can't Tuna Fish : Music Reviews : Rolling Stone". October 2, 2007.
- Whitburn, Joel (2011). Top Pop Albums (Seventh ed.). Record Research. ISBN 978-0-89820-183-3.
- "The Worst Record Covers of All Time - Pitchfork". pitchfork.com.
- "The 50 Worst Album Titles Ever - NME". March 10, 2015.
- REO Speedwagon — You Can Tune a Piano, but You Can't Tuna Fish. Rock Candy Records Ltd. 2013. p. 16.
- "Artist Chart History – REO Speedwagon". Billboard charts. Retrieved October 2, 2016.
- "Top Albums/CD's – Volume 29, No. 12, June 17, 1978". RPM. RPM Music Publications Ltd. June 17, 1978. Retrieved February 1, 2015.
- "Cash Box Top 100 6/24/78". tropicalglen.com. Archived from the original on 2016-03-04. Retrieved 2018-01-12.
- "Top Singles – Volume 29, No. 13, June 24, 1978". RPM. RPM Music Publications Ltd. June 24, 1978. Retrieved February 1, 2015.
- "Top Singles – Volume 29, No. 24, September 9, 1978". RPM. RPM Music Publications Ltd. September 9, 1978. Retrieved February 1, 2015.
- "American album certifications – R.E.O._Speedwagon – You Can Tune a Piano, but You Can't Tuna Fish". Recording Industry Association of America. Retrieved January 18, 2015. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Album, then click SEARCH.