You Ain't Woman Enough
|You Ain't Woman Enough|
|Studio album by Loretta Lynn|
|Released||September 9, 1966|
|Loretta Lynn chronology|
You Ain't Woman Enough is a 1966 studio album by American country music singer-songwriter, Loretta Lynn.
The album was Lynn's second studio album released in 1966. The lead single, "You Ain't Woman Enough (To Take My Man)" became Lynn's biggest hit up to that point peaking at #2. The flip side of the single, "A Man I Hardly Know", charted on the Country Singles chart in 1967. Like Lynn's previous albums with Decca Records, You Ain't Woman consists of 12 tracks recorded in the Nashville studios. Some of the songs are new recordings, while some are cover versions of previous hits by other artists, including Nancy Sinatra's "These Boots Are Made for Walkin'" and Dolly Parton's "Put It Off Until Tomorrow".
Allmusic gave the album a positive review, calling Lynn's cover version of the Wilburn Brothers' hit "It's Another World" an "excellent version" of their song. The song includes double track harmony vocals of Lynn singing. The album includes three other Lynn compositions, one of which was co-written with another songwriter. The album became Lynn's first album to top the Billboard Top Country Albums and to also chart on the Billboard 200.
The title song was recorded by the Grateful Dead several times in 1973. Sung by female vocalist of the band, Donna Jean Godchaux, it was never played over its original play length and was kept from becoming one of their extended jams. Martina McBride covered the song for her album Timeless. The song has proved popular with southern soul artists with June Edwards (1968) and Shirley Brown (1995) recording two well known versions. A comedic version of the song was recorded for the 2005 film Be Cool by Dwayne Johnson, with the full music video viewable on the DVD extras and YouTube. Hayley Williams, lead singer of rock band Paramore, has regularly performed the song while on tour; in 2010, Paramore recorded the song for the tribute album Coal Miner's Daughter: A Tribute to Loretta Lynn.
- "You Ain't Woman Enough (To Take My Man)" - 2:15 (Lynn)
- "Put It Off Until Tomorrow" - 2:30 (Bill Owens, Dolly Parton)
- "These Boots Are Made for Walkin'" - 2:22 (Lee Hazlewood)
- "God Gave Me a Heart to Forgive" - 2:59 (Iva Cummings, Bob Cummings, Barbara Cummings, Lynn)
- "Keep Your Change" - 1:56 (Lynn)
- "Someone Before Me" - 2:33 (Bobby Hicks)
- "The Darkest Day" - 2:37 (Lynn)
- "Tippy Toeing" - 1:59 (Bobby Harden)
- "Talking to the Wall" - 2:31 (Warner MacPherson, Bill Montague)
- "A Man I Hardly Know" - 2:02 (Lynn)
- "Is It Wrong (For Loving You)" - 2:26 (Warner MacPherson)
- "It's Another World" - 1:58 (Richard D. Statler)
Album – Billboard (North America)
Singles - Billboard (North America)
|1966||"You Ain't Woman Enough (To Take My Man)"||Country Singles||2|
|1967||"A Man I Hardly Know"||Country Singles||72|