You're an Education
This article does not cite any sources. (March 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|You're An Education|
Title card for reissue version, circa 1946.
Frank Tashlin (uncredited)
|Produced by||Leon Schlesinger (uncredited on the Blue Ribbon reissue)|
|Story by||Uncredited on the Blue Ribbon reissue:|
|Starring||Mel Blanc (uncredited)|
|Music by||Musical direction:|
Carl W. Stalling (uncredited on the Blue Ribbon reissue)
Milt Franklyn (uncredited)
|Animation by||Uncredited character animation on the Blue Ribbon Reissue:|
A C. Gamer
|Backgrounds by||Background supervisor:|
Art Loomer (uncredited)
|Distributed by||Warner Bros. Pictures|
|November 5, 1938 (US)|
|7:47 (original version)|
6:58 (Blue Ribbon reissue with a banned scene cut)
The brochures in a travel agency spring to life in this "it's-midnight-and-everything-comes-to-life" cartoon, this time in a travel agency with first a bunch of tableaux, followed by a big song, then a crime story.
Following a spinning globe, the front of the agency store appears, where there are several displays of banners and posters of different countries and one poster/banner for each country and then a song is heard tied to the country or a pun on the name. For example, with a picture of Bombay harbor, exploding bombs are seen. There's a little tour of the world at first, with appropriate songs, which then stray into puns about food. "Food's an Education," which leads to references to Hungary, Turkey, the Sandwich Islands, Hamburg, Chili, Oyster Bay, Twin Forks and Java. The Thief of Bagdad uses the Florida Keys to break into the Kimberly Diamond Mine, and then pawns them with the Pawnee Indians. He is chased by the soldiers and police of different nations, but gets away by forming an "unusual alliance" with the Lone Stranger: "Well, you're not alone now, Beeg Boy!"
- You're an Education was Frank Tashlin's last cartoon with Warner Bros. for five years; he left the studio to become a gag writer with Disney, then moved to Screen Gems to direct. He would return in 1943, but left again for good in 1946.
- The Blue Ribbon reissue of this cartoon is missing about 45 seconds of footage. The print used on Looney Tunes Golden Collection: Volume 4 is the reissue print. The original footage is presumed to be lost. However, the cartoon is not included on the Region 2 release.
- You're an Education is the third and final entry in Tashlin's "Books-Come-To-Life" trilogy released in 1937–1938. The other two were Speaking of the Weather and Have You Got Any Castles?.
- The film is also the final cartoon where the WB shield is blue in the opening titles and the last Merrie Melodies cartoon to use the orange-yellow rings in the opening titles. The next cartoon, The Night Watchman uses the green-yellow rings in the opening titles and the WB shield is changed back to red.
- The film is the first cartoon to end with the 1938–1941 rendition of "Merrily We Roll Along".