Yoshishige Yoshida (吉田 喜重, Yoshida Yoshishige, born 16 February 1933), also known as Kijū Yoshida, is a retired Japanese film director and screenwriter.
|Born||16 February 1933|
Graduating from Tokyo University, Yoshida entered the Shōchiku studio in 1955 and debuted as a director in 1960 with Rokudenashi. He was a central member of what came to be called the "Shōchiku Nouvelle Vague" along with Nagisa Oshima and Masahiro Shinoda, and his works have been studied under the larger rubric of the Japanese New Wave. Like many of his New Wave cohorts, he felt restricted under the studio system and left Shōchiku in 1964 to start his own production company where he directed such films as Eros + Massacre.
He has directed more than 20 films between 1960 and 2004. His film A Promise was screened in the Un Certain Regard section the 1986 Cannes Film Festival. Two years later his film Wuthering Heights would compete for the Golden Palm at the 1988 Festival. He returned with Women in the Mirror, his first feature film in 14 years, in 2002.
- Rokudenashi (Bastard) (1960)
- Blood Is Dry (1960)
- Bitter End of a Sweet Night (1961)
- Akitsu Springs (1962)
- Arashi wo yobu jû hachi-nin (literally Eighteen Who Cause a Storm and retitled 18 Roughs) (1963)
- Escape from Japan (1964)
- A Story Written with Water (1965)
- Woman of the Lake (1966)
- The Affair (1967)
- Flame and Women (1967)
- Affair in the Snow (1968)
- Farewell to the Summer Light (1968)
- Eros + Massacre (1969)
- Heroic Purgatory (1970)
- Confessions Among Actresses (1971)
- Coup d'État (1973)
- A Promise (1986)
- Wuthering Heights (1988)
- Lumière and Company (1995)
- Women in the Mirror (2002)
- "Yoshida Yoshishige". Nihon jinmei daijiten + Plus (in Japanese). Kōdansha. Retrieved 11 May 2011.
- Domenig, Roland (28 June 2004). "The Anticipation of Freedom". Midnight Eye. Retrieved 11 May 2011.
- Desser, David (1988). Eros Plus Massacre: An Introduction to The Japanese New Wave Cinema. Bloomington: Indiana University Press. ISBN 0-253-20469-0.
- "Festival de Cannes: A Promise". festival-cannes.com. Archived from the original on 2 October 2012. Retrieved 17 July 2009.
- "Festival de Cannes: Wuthering Heights". festival-cannes.com. Archived from the original on 3 October 2012. Retrieved 26 July 2009.
- Schilling, Mark (27 June 2002). "Women In The Mirror (Kagami No Onnatachi) - Review - Screen". Screen International.
- Jacoby, Alexander; Amit, Rea (13 December 2010). "Midnight Eye interview: Yoshishige Yoshida". Midnight Eye.