Yo-Yo Rodriguez, also known as Slingshot, is a fictional superhero appearing in American comic books published by Marvel Comics. Yo-Yo Rodriguez first appeared in The Mighty Avengers #13 (July 2008) and was created by writer Brian Michael Bendis and artist Alex Maleev. She has a form of super-speed, when used she automatically returns to place where she started. She was a member of Nick Fury's Secret Warriors team. She is the daughter of supervillian Johnny Horton.
|First appearance||The Mighty Avengers #13 (July 2008)|
|Created by||Brian Michael Bendis|
|Team affiliations||Secret Warriors|
Yo-Yo Rodriguez first appeared in The Mighty Avengers #13 (July 2008) and was created by writer Brian Michael Bendis and artist Alex Maleev. Born in Puerto Rico, she is the daughter of the supervillian John "Johnny" Horton through her father's mutated DNA, she gained superhuman speed and the ability to snap back to the exact same spot she started running. Following the Secret Invasion event, taking on the name Slingshot, she was one of the members of Nick Fury's black-ops team called the Secret Warriors, which was written by Bendis and Jonathan Hickman. During this run, both her arms were cut off by Hydra member Gorgon, and were later replaced with two prosthetic arms.
Fictional character biographyEdit
Both of her arms are severed by the Gorgon, and she is temporarily unable to remain active with the team. However, both arms are later replaced with prosthetics, and she returns to active duty.
Powers and abilitiesEdit
She can run at superhuman speed, then bounces back to the point where she began.
In other mediaEdit
An Inhuman version of Yo-Yo Rodriguez appears in Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., portrayed by Natalia Cordova-Buckley. She first appeared in the episode "Bouncing Back". Elena Rodriguez, nicknamed "Yo-Yo" due to her power, is a "street-wise Colombian woman given Inhuman abilities", namely the ability to move at super speed for the duration of one heartbeat before returning to the point from which she started. She first comes into contact with S.H.I.E.L.D. in the episode "Bouncing Back" when they investigate her for stealing weapons from the corrupt members of the National Police of Colombia led by Victor Ramon and the Inhuman Lucio where the two of them later kill her cousin Francisco. She grows close to Mack, who nicknames her "Yo-Yo", and eventually agrees to join the Secret Warriors where she helps to fight the forces of Hive. After the signing of the Sokovia Accords, Rodriguez returns to her life with occasional monitoring by S.H.I.E.L.D. She returns to the team after encountering the Watchdogs and pursues a serious relationship with Mack. In the episode "All the Comforts of Home", Rodriguez's forearms are sliced off by the chakram wielded by General Hale's daughter Ruby Hale, but she survives. While recovering in the episode "Principia," Elena is told by Daisy that Fitz is working on some prosthetic replacements for her lost arms. After the mission to obtain some Gravitonium from the Principia ship, Mack salvaged two of General Hale's robots so that Fitz can make use of their arms for Elena to use. While the arms are effective, it is revealed that Yo-Yo's speed cause them to become temporarily disabled due to the messages being sent between her brain and arms not moving fast enough. She arrives at the scene of General Hale and Daisy confronting a Gravitonium-infused Ruby who is suffering from losing control and hearing the voices of Franklin Hall and Ian Quinn. Angry with her, but also witnessing her suffering, Yo-Yo takes Ruby's chakram and slices her throat to put her out of her misery. She claimed to Daisy that she "saved the world". Fitz eventually fixes her arms so that they do not malfunction when she uses her powers at the time when Remoran warriors sent by Qovas attack the Lighthouse.
Cordova-Buckley reprises her role in a six-part online digital series titled Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: Slingshot. The six-part series showed Elena on the hunt for her old enemy Victor Ramon who has allied with the Watchdogs.
- Trenholm, Richard (December 7, 2016). "'Agents of SHIELD: Slingshot' is a Marvel-ous online spin-off". CNET. Archived from the original on October 3, 2018. Retrieved October 10, 2019.
- Caron, Nathalie (February 16, 2016). "Here's our first look at Slingshot on Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." Syfy. Archived from the original on October 10, 2019. Retrieved October 10, 2019.
- Ereo, Matthew (March 8, 2018). "Agents of SHIELD's Shocking Moment Is Another Secret Warriors Adaptation". Screen Rant. Archived from the original on February 9, 2019. Retrieved October 10, 2019.
- Mighty Avengers #13
- Secret Invasion #3
- Secret Warriors #3
- Secret Warriors #8
- Secret Warriors #9
- Secret Warriors #1 (2017)
- The Mighty Avengers #13 (July 2008)
- "'Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.' Recruits Natalia Cordova-Buckley to the Secret Warriors – News – Marvel.com". marvel.com.
- Underwood, Ron (director); Monica Owusu-Breen (writer) (March 8, 2016). "Bouncing Back". Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Season 3. Episode 11. ABC.
- Keene, Elodie (director); DJ Doyle (writer) (April 19, 2016). "The Team". Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Season 3. Episode 17. ABC.
- Misiano, Vincent (director); Craig Titley (writer) (May 10, 2016). "Emancipation". Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Season 3. Episode 20. ABC.
- Martens, Magnus (director); Craig Titley (writer) (October 11, 2016). "Uprising". Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Season 4. Episode 3. ABC.
- Woods, Kate (director); Drew Z. Greenberg (writer) (March 2, 2018). "All the Comforts of Home". Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Season 5. Episode 11. ABC.
- Turner, Brad (director); Craig Titely (writer) (March 18, 2018). "Principia". Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Season 5. Episode 13. ABC.
- Brown, Garry A. (director); James C. Oliver & Sharla Oliver (writer) (April 13, 2018). "The Honeymoon". Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Season 5. Episode 17. ABC.
- Lynch, Jennifer (director); George Kitson (writer) (April 20, 2018). "All Roads Lead...". Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Season 5. Episode 18. ABC.
- Tancharoen, Kevin (director); Nora Zuckerman & Lila Zuckerman (writer) (April 27, 2018). "Option Two". Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Season 5. Episode 19. ABC.
- CS (December 6, 2016). "Agents of SHIELD: LMD and a Slingshot Digital Series are Coming". ComingSoon.net. Retrieved December 7, 2016.