Among programmers, yet another (often abbreviated ya, Ya, or YA in the initial part of an acronym) is an idiomatic qualifier in the name of a computer program, organisation, or event that is confessedly unoriginal.
Stephen C. Johnson is credited with establishing the naming convention in the late 1970s when he named his compiler-compiler yacc (Yet Another Compiler-Compiler), since he felt there were already numerous compiler-compilers in circulation at the time.
- YaCC – Yet Another Covid Call -- the paradigm where companies feel the need to have numerous Covid-related conference calls.
- Yabasic – Yet Another BASIC
- Yacc – Yet another compiler compiler
- Yacas – Yet another computer algebra system
- YaDICs – Yet another Digital Image Correlation Software
- YADIFA – Yet Another DNS Implementation For All
- YafaRay – Yet another free Ray tracer
- YAFFS – Yet Another Flash File System
- Yafra – Yet Another Framework
- Yagc – Yet Another Group Chat
- YAGO – Yet Another Great Ontology
- Yahoo! – Yet Another Hierarchical Officious Oracle [backronym]
- Yakuake – Yet Another Kuake
- YAM – Yet Another Mailer, an email client
- YAML – Yet Another Markup Language. Later redefined to YAML Ain't Markup Language, making a recursive acronym
- Yandex – Yet another indexer, a web search engine and index
- YA-NewsWatcher – a Usenet client for classic Mac OS
- YANG – Yet Another Next Generation
- YAP – Yet Another Previewer, document previewer
- YAP – Yet Another Prolog, an implementation of the Prolog programming language
- YAPC – Yet Another Perl Conference
- YAPF – Yet Another Python Formatter
- YAQL – Yet Another Query Language
- YARN – Yet Another Resource Negotiator
- YARP – Yet Another Robot Platform
- YARV – Yet Another Ruby VM
- Yasara – Yet Another Scientific Artificial Reality Application, a molecular modeling program
- Yasca – Yet Another Source Code Analyzer
- YAS – Yet Another Society, a non-profit organization organizing YAPCs
- YaST – Yet another Setup Tool, an operating system installation and configuration wizard for SUSE Linux distributions
- Y.A.S.U. – Yet Another SecuROM Utility
- Yate – Yet Another Telephony Engine, VoIP software
- YAWC – Yet Another Wersion of Citadel
- YAWL – Yet Another Workflow Language, a business process modeling language for diagramming workflow patterns
- Yaws – Yet another web server
- Eric S. Raymond, ed. (29 Dec 2003). "Yet Another". The on-line hacker Jargon File. 4.4.7. Retrieved 20 January 2020. Cite has empty unknown parameter:
- "Yahoo! - Company History". Yahoo! Inc. Archived from the original on 1999-10-13.
The name Yahoo! is supposed to stand for 'Yet Another Hierarchical Officious Oracle' but Filo and Yang insist they selected the name because they considered themselves yahoos.Cite has empty unknown parameter:
- Paul Gil (2 July 2019). "What Does "Yahoo" Stand For?". Lifewire. Dotdash. Retrieved 20 January 2020.
Yahoo stands for 'Yet Another Hierarchical Officious Oracle.'Cite has empty unknown parameter:
- "What does "Yandex" mean?". History of Yandex. Yandex. Retrieved 26 Dec 2016.
- "Yapf". Retrieved 22 Oct 2020.
- "Yet Another Society on WikiWikiWeb". Retrieved 5 Jan 2018.