|Occupation||Film director, screenwriter|
Life and careerEdit
Ustaoğlu was born in Kars, Sarıkamış and grew up in Trabzon on the Black Sea. After studying architecture at Karadeniz Technical University she moved to Istanbul, attended master's programme in Yıldız Technical University, she worked as an architect, then as a journalist and a film critic. Before she made her feature film debut The Trace (İz) in 1994, she had made several award-winning short films. The Trace was entered into the 19th Moscow International Film Festival.
Ustaoğlu received international recognition for her next film, Journey to the Sun (Güneşe Yolculuk), which told a story of a friendship between a Turk and a Kurd. Her fourth film Pandora's Box (Pandora'nın Kutusu) won The Best Film and The Best Actress award in San Sebastian Film Festival and is Ustaoğlu's biggest international success to date.
|Year||English Title||Original Title||Notes|
|1984||To Catch a Moment||Bir Anı Yakalamak||short film|
|1994||The Trace||Iz||feature film debut|
|1999||Journey to the Sun||Güneşe Yolculuk||Won the Blue Angel Award at Berlin|
|2003||Waiting for the Clouds||Bulutları Beklerken|
|2004||Life on Their Shoulders||Sırtlarındaki Hayat||documentary short film|
|2008||Pandora's Box||Pandora'nın Kutusu||Won the Golden Shell Award at San Sebastian International Film Festival|
|2012||Araf - Somewhere in Between||Araf|
|2016||Clair Obscur||Tereddüt||Several awards including best picture at the 53rd Antalya International Film Festival|
- Kutschera, Chris (October 1999). "Yesim Ustaoglu, Journey to the Sun". The Middle East. Retrieved 18 November 2011.
- Dönmez-Colin, Gönül (2006). Cinemas of the other: a personal journey with film-makers from the Middle East and Central Asia. Intellect Books. p. 140. ISBN 978-1-84150-143-7. Retrieved 18 November 2011.
- Arslan, Müjde (2010). Yeşim Ustaoğlu : su, ölüm ve yolculuk (Birinci basım ed.). Beyoğlu, İstanbul. ISBN 9786051030937. OCLC 761887888.
- "Who's who: Yeşim Ustaoğlu". Turkish Cultural Foundation. Retrieved 18 November 2011.
- "19th Moscow International Film Festival (1995)". MIFF. Retrieved 2013-03-20.
- John Hopewell, Jonathan Holland (Sep 27, 2008). "San Sebastian picks 'Pandora's Box'". Variety. Retrieved 4 May 2017.
- "Berlinale: 1999 Prize Winners". berlinale.de. Retrieved 2012-01-29.
- Christopher Vourlias (23 October 2016). "Yeşim Ustaoğlu's 'Clair-Obscur' Wins Top Honors at Antalya Film Festival". Variety.