|Under-Secretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs and Emergency Relief Coordinator|
|Preceded by||Peter Hansen|
|Succeeded by||Sérgio Vieira de Mello|
|Born||January 19, 1931|
Hinai, Akita, Japan
|Alma mater||University of Tokyo|
University of Virginia, (MA)
Akashi graduated with Bachelor of Arts degree from the University of Tokyo in 1954, studied as a Fulbright Scholar at the University of Virginia, and later at The Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy at Tufts University. As a politically appointed International Civil Servant at the Headquarters of the United Nations Secretariat in New York City, he held positions as Under-Secretary-General of Public Information, Under-Secretary-General for Disarmament Affairs and Undersecretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs and Emergency Relief Coordinator.
Among many other additional assignments, he was the Secretary-General's Personal Representative for the war in the former Yugoslavia. He also supervised the Cambodian peace negotiations and subsequent elections in 1993. Despite his successes there, he was strongly criticized for his subsequent role in the Balkans, particularly for failing to enforce the safety of civilians in a number of safe zones, such as Goražde, and his inability to prevent the genocide in Srebrenica.
Akashi was expected to visit Sri Lanka in the last week of September 2006 to help facilitate negotiations between the Tamil Tigers and the Sri Lankan government. In the past, Akashi has met with JVP official Somawansa Amarasinghe.
- Honorary citizen of Sochi, Russia (1989).
- Eminent member of the Sergio Vieira de Mello Foundation.
- SriLanka Rathna Award Sri Lanka -19 AUGUST -2019] -The first ever highest national honour conferred on non nationals in oder to recognize his service as Peace Envoy. It is the national honour of Sri Lanka for exceptional and outstanding service to the nation. It comprises a citation and a gold medal studded with nine " Navaratnas"(Srilankan Gems) with the symbol of country' national flower (Manel). Citation - www.pmdnews.lk/national-honours-ceremony-2019-held-under-the-patronage-of-president/
- Yasushi Akashi United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs Biography
- Bianca Jagger: The Betrayal of Srebrenica. Archived 2008-07-13 at the Wayback Machine The European, 25 September-1 October 1995
- Lanka warfront largely quiet as talks hopes rise Gulf Times
- JVP leader & Yasushi Akashi meet in Japan People's Liberation Front
- Kristof, Nicholas (12 April 1999). "Nationalist Critical of U.S. Air Base Is Elected Governor of Tokyo". New York Times. Retrieved 8 January 2014.
- "Structure of the Foundation". Sergio Vieira de Mello Foundation. Archived from the original on 1 February 2014. Retrieved 18 January 2014.
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: Yasushi Akashi|
|Positions in intergovernmental organisations|
Peter Hansen ( )
| Under-Secretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs and
Emergency Relief Coordinator
Sérgio Vieira de Mello ( )
|This article about a Japanese politician born in the 1930s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|