Yarra Ranges Shire
The Shire of Yarra Ranges, also known as Yarra Ranges Council, is a local government area in Victoria, Australia, located in the outer eastern and northeastern suburbs of Melbourne extending into the Yarra Valley and Dandenong Ranges. It has an area of 2,468 square kilometres (953 sq mi), of which 3% is classified as urban. In June 2018, it had a population of 158,173.
|Shire of Yarra Ranges|
Location in Victoria
Map of Melbourne with Yarra Ranges LGA highlighted.
|Population||158,173 (2018) (45th)|
|• Density||64.090/km2 (165.99/sq mi)|
|Area||2,468 km2 (952.9 sq mi)|
|Region||Outer Eastern Melbourne|
|Website||Shire of Yarra Ranges|
Prior to European settlement, the land within and beyond the Yarra Ranges was occupied by the Wurundjeri people.
European settlement was established from the 1830s with settlers engaging in agriculture and gold mining activities.
Yarra Ranges is divided into nine wards, each of which elects one councillor for a period of four years. The next election will take place during October 2020.
- Billanook Ward, named after the Wurundjeri name for the region and pioneered by explorer Robert Hoddle
- Chandler Ward, named after a pioneering family
- Chirnside Ward, named after George Chirnside, a Mooroolbark settler and owner of the Werribee Park Mansion
- Lyster Ward, named after William Saurin Lyster, an impresario who had a dairy farm in the area
- Melba Ward, named after opera singer Dame Nellie Melba
- O'Shannassy Ward, named after O'Shannassy River and reservoir, in turn named after John O'Shanassy (sic.), Premier of Victoria in the mid 1800s.
- Ryrie Ward, named after William Ryrie who planted the first vineyards in the area
- Streeton Ward, named after Sir Arthur Streeton, a painter who lived in Olinda
- Walling Ward, named after landscape designer Edna Walling
|Billanook||Lilydale, Mt Evelyn, Wandin North||Independent||Tim Heenan||2016|
|Chandler||Kalorama, Macclesfield, Monbulk, Seville, Silvan, Wandin, Olinda (part), Montrose (part), Mt Evelyn (part)||Independent||Tony Stevenson||2016|
|Chirnside||Chirnside Park, Mooroolbark||Independent||Richard Higgins||2016|
|Lyster||Belgrave, Belgrave Heights, Belgrave South, Kallista, Lyserfield, Menzies Creek, Narre Warren East, Selby, Sherbrooke, Tecoma, The Patch.||Independent||Mike Clarke||2015|
|Melba||Lilydale, Mooroolbark||Independent||Terry Avery||2005|
|O'Shannassy||Don Valley, Gladysdale, Hoddles Creek, Launching Place, McMahons Creek, Millgrove, Powelltown, Reefton, Warburton, Wesburn, Woori Yallock, Yarra Junction, Yellingbo||National Party||Jim Child||2012|
|Ryrie||Badger Creek, Chum Creek, Coldstream, Dixon's Creek, Gruyere, Healesville, Steels Creek, Tarrawarra, Yarra Glen, Yering||Independent||Fiona McAllister||2012|
|Streeton||Ferny Creek, Montrose, Mt Dandenong, Olinda, Sassafras, Tremont, Upper Ferntree Gully, Upwey||Independent||Noel Cliff||2003|
|Walling||Kilsyth, Mooroolbark, Montrose||Independent||Len Cox||1982[note 1]|
The towns, suburbs and localities of the Yarra Ranges Shire are:
- Badger Creek
- Belgrave Heights
- Belgrave South
- Big Pats Creek
- Chirnside Park
- Chum Creek
- Dixons Creek
- Don Valley
- East Warburton
- Ferny Creek
- Hoddles Creek
- Launching Place
- Lysterfield (partially within the City of Knox)
- McMahons Creek
- Menzies Creek
- Mount Dandenong
- Mount Evelyn
- Mount Toolebewong
- Narre Warren East
- Seville East
- Steels Creek
- The Patch
- Three Bridges
- Upper Ferntree Gully (partially within the City of Knox)
- Wandin East
- Wandin North
- Woori Yallock
- Yarra Glen
- Yarra Junction
- Burwood Highway (State Route 26)
- Canterbury Road/Swansea Road/Anderson Street (south) (State Route 32 / C401) (briefly merges with C415 before turning to SR32 (and SR22 respectively))
- Maroondah Highway (State Route 34 / B300)
- Belgrave-Hallam Road/Monbulk Road/Hereford Road (C404) (briefly merges with C406)
- Belgrave Road (State Route 26)
- Olinda-Monbulk Road/Emerald Monbulk Road
- Warburton Highway (B380)
- Healesville- Koo Wee Rup Road (C411)
- Mount Dandenong (Tourist) Road (State Route 22 / C415)
- First elected to Shire of Lillydale before council amalgamations in 1994.
- "3218.0 – Regional Population Growth, Australia, 2017-18: Population Estimates by Local Government Area (ASGS 2018), 2017 to 2018". Australian Bureau of Statistics. Australian Bureau of Statistics. 27 March 2019. Retrieved 25 October 2019. Estimated resident population, 30 June 2018.
- "Demographic Profile". Yarra Ranges Council. Retrieved 5 August 2019.
- "Our history". Yarra Ranges Council. Retrieved 5 August 2019.
- "About the region". Yarra Ranges Council. Retrieved 15 August 2020.
- "Your councillors". Shire of Yarra Ranges. Retrieved 11 July 2016.
- "Results for Yarra Ranges Shire Council Elections 2012". Victorian Electoral Commission. Retrieved 11 July 2016.
- "Tracking Victorian Crs who are members of a political party". The Mayne Report. Retrieved 23 June 2020.