Yao (Chinese: 姚; pinyin: Yáo), also romanized as Yiu in Cantonese, is one of the most ancient Chinese surnames. It is ranked 101st in the Hundred Family Surnames, and as the 51st most common surname in Mainland China.
Yao surname in regular script
|Word/name||Henan Fan County or Shandong|
|Variant form(s)||Yao (Mandarin)|
Iao, Iau (Hokkien)
- Emperor Shun, a legendary leader of ancient China whose ancestral name is Yao, one of the Three Sovereigns and Five Emperors in ancient China.
- Yao Chang, founding emperor of the Later Qin Dynasty.
- Andrew Chi-Chih Yao, a Chinese computer scientist and A.M. Turing Award laureate.
- Jianping Yao, Canadian engineer.
- Yao Ming, a retired Chinese professional basketball player.
- Yao Wenyuan, member of the Gang of Four.
- MC HotDog (born name as Yao Chung-jen), a Taiwanese rap artist known for his use of explicit lyrics in his songs.
- Yao Beina, a famous Chinese singer.
- Yao Chen, a famous Chinese actress.
- Yao Jen-to, Vice Chairperson and Secretary-General of Straits Exchange Foundation of the Republic of China
- Yao Leeh-ter, Political Deputy Minister of Education of the Republic of China (2017–2019)
Learning of the Chinese culture- the Yao dynasty
|This page lists people with the surname Yao. If an internal link intending to refer to a specific person led you to this page, you may wish to change that link by adding the person's given name(s) to the link.|