Yanqing District (simplified Chinese: 延庆区; traditional Chinese: 延慶區; pinyin: Yánqìng Qū) is a subdivision of the municipality of Beijing located northwest of the city proper of Beijing. The district, a county until 2015, consists of 11 towns and 4 rural townships.
Ancient cave dwellings of the Guyaju Ruins are located in Yanqing.
Location of Yanqing in Beijing
|Country||People's Republic of China|
|• Total||1,992 km2 (769 sq mi)|
|• Density||140/km2 (360/sq mi)|
|Time zone||China Standard (UTC+8)|
|Name||Chinese (S)||Hanyu Pinyin||Population (2010)||Area (km2)|
|Rulin Subdistrict||儒林街道||Rúlín Jiēdào||125,659||14.26|
|Baiquan Subdistrict||百泉街道||Bǎiquán Jiēdào||6.20|
|Xiangshuiyuan Subdistrict||香水园街道||Xiāngshuǐyuán Jiēdào||7.45|
|Yanqing Town||延庆镇||Yánqìng Zhèn||47.00|
|Kangzhuang Town||康庄镇||Kāngzhuāng Zhèn||33,487||75.00|
|Badaling Town||八达岭镇||Bādálǐng Zhèn||8,094||96.00|
|Yongning Town||永宁镇||Yǒngníng Zhèn||24,075||158.70|
|Jiuxian Town||旧县镇||Jiùxiàn Zhèn||19,932||109.70|
|Zhangshanying Town||张山营镇||Zhāngshānyíng Zhèn||23,769||248.00|
|Sihai Town||四海镇||Sìhǎi Zhèn||6,001||115.70|
|Qianjiadian Town||千家店镇||Qiānjiādiàn Zhèn||9,463||371.00|
|Shenjiaying Town||沈家营镇||Shěnjiāyíng Zhèn||12,021||37.30|
|Dayushu Town||大榆树镇||Dàyúshù Zhèn||21,630||64.00|
|Jingzhuang Town||井庄镇||Jǐngzhuāng Zhèn||10,646||125.70|
|Dazhuangke Township||大庄科乡||Dàzhuāngkē Xiāng||5,276||126.57|
|Liubinbao Township||刘斌堡乡||Liúbīnbǎo Xiāng||6,088||116.20|
|Xiangying Township||香营乡||Xiāngyíng Xiāng||7,782||96.00|
|Zhenzhuquan Township||珍珠泉乡||Zhēnzhūquán Xiāng||3,503||114.00|
Culture and tourismEdit
The district is rich in historical sites and outdoor attractions.
It is home to the popular Badaling section of the Great Wall. Yongning is a historic town located in the district with architecture restored in the 2000s. It contains a town square tower and Gothic Revival Catholic church. The remnants of a 1,000 year old community dating back to the Tang Dynasty are found at Guyaju Ruins. Archaeologists believe a Mongolian steppe tribe carved from the rocks hundreds of homes and halls to form a fortress community.
One of the most popular day-trips for residents of Beijing is the Longqing Gorge located in the village of Gucheng in the district. The scenic area features a canyon filled at the bottom with a reservoir from a nearby man made dam, providing short boat cruises along the dramatic landscape of narrow peaks.
Yanqing is currently served by one commuter railway line operated by BCR. Line S2 (both the main and branch lines) starts from Huangtudian railway station in Changping District and stops at the following stations in Yanqing:
- 2011年统计用区划代码和城乡划分代码：延庆县 (in Chinese). National Bureau of Statistics of the People's Republic of China. Retrieved 2013-08-07.
- shi, Guo wu yuan ren kou pu cha ban gong; council, Guo jia tong ji ju ren kou he jiu ye tong ji si bian = Tabulation on the 2010 population census of the people's republic of China by township / compiled by Population census office under the state; population, Department of; statistics, employment statistics national bureau of (2012). Zhongguo 2010 nian ren kou pu cha fen xiang, zhen, jie dao zi liao (Di 1 ban. ed.). Beijing Shi: Zhongguo tong ji chu ban she. ISBN 978-7-5037-6660-2.
- "Beijing rebuilds its ancient town". China Daily. July 21, 2003.
- "1000 Years Old Houses Carved out of Rock: Guyaju Ruins". China Underground. April 10, 2016.
- "Beijing's best day trips: lakes and rivers". Time Out Beijing. May 2, 2017.
- "Longqing Gorge 龙庆峡". The Beijinger.