Yanick Pires Moreira (born July 31, 1991) is an Angolan professional basketball player for Virtus Bologna of the Italian Lega Basket Serie A (LBA). He played two seasons of college basketball for the SMU Mustangs.
Moreira in 2014
|No. 2 – Virtus Bologna|
|Born||July 31, 1991|
|Listed height||6 ft 11 in (2.11 m)|
|Listed weight||220 lb (100 kg)|
|High school||Colégio Herinália Janete|
|NBA draft||2015 / Undrafted|
|2008–2011||Primeiro de Agosto|
|2017||Sanat Naft Abadan|
|Career highlights and awards|
From 2008 to 2011, Moreira played for Primeiro de Agosto of the Angolan League before moving to the United States to attend South Plains College. After playing two seasons with South Plains, he transferred to Southern Methodist University where he graduated in 2015. Moreira was called for goaltending on a three-point shot by Bryce Alford, in the closing seconds of the Mustangs' second-round game of the 2015 NCAA Men's Division I Basketball Tournament against UCLA. Moreira took responsibility for the loss, saying "It's all my fault. I should have let the ball hit the rim. I shouldn't have made that mistake as a senior."
After going undrafted in the 2015 NBA draft, Moreira joined the Los Angeles Clippers for the 2015 NBA Summer League. In September 2015, he was ruled out for four to six weeks with a minor ligament tear in his left foot. On November 29, 2015, he signed with Rouen Métropole Basket of the French LNB Pro A. In April 2016, he left Rouen and signed with Angolan club Petro de Luanda. He was later loaned to Spanish club UCAM Murcia for the rest of the 2015–16 ACB season.
In July 2016, Moreira joined the Toronto Raptors for the 2016 NBA Summer League. On August 11, 2016, he signed with the Raptors, but was waived on October 22, 2016 after appearing in one preseason game. On October 30, 2016, he was acquired by Raptors 905 of the NBA Development League as an affiliate player of Toronto. On May 3, 2017, he signed with Sanat Naft Abadan of the Iranian Super League.
On July 13, 2017, Moreira signed with Russian club Parma for the 2017–18 season. He averaged 9 points and 6 rebounds per game in the VTB league. On August 5, 2018, Moreira joined the Greek club PAOK.
National team careerEdit
Moreira has been a regular member of the Angola national basketball team since 2010, having competed at the 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup. At the 2010 World Cup, Moreira scored a tournament-high and career-high 38 points, along with 15 rebounds, in an 83–91 win against Australia.
- Basquetebol: Yanick Moreira visitou o Clube onde fez a sua formação e rever amigos ‹See Tfd›(in Portuguese)
- "SMU player whistled for critical goaltending: 'It's all my fault'". FoxSports.com. March 19, 2015. Retrieved March 19, 2015.
- 2015 Summer League Player Profile – Yanick Moreira
- "Nets Sign Yanick Moreira". Hoops Rumors. Retrieved 2017-07-27.
- "Yanick Moreira inks with Rouen Metro Basket". Sportando. Retrieved 2017-07-27.
- "Basketball: Yanick Moreira to play for UCAM Murcia of Spain". angop.ao. April 13, 2016. Retrieved April 15, 2016.
- "Yanick Moreira refuerza al UCAM Murcia CB". ACB.com (in Spanish). April 12, 2016. Retrieved April 15, 2016.
- "Raptors Sign Free Agents Drew Crawford, Yanick Moreira". NBA.com. August 11, 2016. Retrieved August 11, 2016.
- "Raptors Release Five From Roster". NBA.com. October 22, 2016. Retrieved October 22, 2016.
- "TRAINING CAMP ROSTER AND SCHEDULE". NBA.com. Turner Sports Interactive, Inc. October 30, 2016. Retrieved November 2, 2016.
- "Yanick Moreira inks in Iran with Naft Abadan". Sportando.com. May 3, 2017. Retrieved May 8, 2017.
- Продолжаем усиляться. Яник Морейра.. parmabasket.ru (in Russian). July 13, 2017. Retrieved July 13, 2017.
- "Yannick Moreira inks with PAOK". Sportando. Retrieved August 6, 2018.
- "Yanick MOREIRA at the Players of the FIBA Basketball World Cup 2014 - FIBA.basketball". FIBA.basketball. Retrieved 2017-07-28.
- "Australia vs Angola". FIBA.com. 4 September 2014. Retrieved 7 March 2017.