Yamatji (or Yamaji) is a Wajarri language word that has at least three different meanings:
- any person – especially a male Aboriginal person from the the Murchison region of Western Australia
- a member of the Watjarri people
- any group made up of members of different indigenous peoples, such as a Native Title Prescribed Body Corporate
Usage of the word Yamatji, in reference to non-Watjarri people, has resulted from its adoption by non-Watjarri Aboriginal people from the Murchison, to describe any indigenous person born in that region.[a]
Native Title claimsEdit
The Yamatji Marlpa Aboriginal Corporation (YMAC), pursuant to the (Commonwealth) Native Title Act 1993, is "the native title representative body (NTRB) for native title claims in the resource-rich Pilbara, Murchison and Gascoyne areas of Western Australia".
As of 2017 the Yamatji have made two of the twelve claims for native title in the Geraldton region. One, concerning the Wajarri Yamatji, was filed in 2004. The second was filed by the Southern Yamatji in 2017.
There have been four executive directors of the YMAC: Wayne Warner (1996-1998); former AFL footballer Clinton Wolf (1998-2001); Roger Cook (2001-2003) and current CEO Simon Hawkins (2003-present). YMAC was until 2017 co-chaired by Pilbara representative Doris Eaton and Yamatji Representative Ben Roberts. Eaton was recognised as the NAIDOC Female Elder of the Year in 2009.
- "yamatji..is commonly used by natives in the Murchison for anyone of Aboriginal descent who was born in the district. Other terms are applied to natives from other districts: for instance, Aborgines from farther east are called Wanmala, and those from the south-west Nunga (Nyungar)."
- Breen, Marcus (1991). "Aboriginal music:tThe original songlines". In Broughton, Simon; Ellingham, Mark; Trillo, Richard. World Music: Latin & North America, Caribbean, India, Asia and Pacific. Volume 2. Rough Guides. pp. 8–19. ISBN 978-1-858-28636-5.
- Douglas, Wilfred H. (1981). "Watjarri". In Dixon, Robert M. W.; Blake, Barry J. Handbook of Australian Languages. Volume 2. John Benjamins Publishing. pp. 197–272. ISBN 978-9-027-27354-3.
- Harrold, Jenni; Whitby, Joanne (1996). Aboriginal Studies. R.I.C. Publications. ISBN 978-1-863-11434-9.
- "Land, Approvals and Native Title Unit". Government of Western Australia. 1 August 2017.
- "News from Yamatji Marlpa Aboriginal Corporation" (PDF). YMAC News (32). February 2017.
- Nicol, Emily (26 January 2017). "Iconic Indigenous artists sing their own anthems". National Indigenous Television.
- "Our Chairperson wins 'Elder of the Year' Award". Yamatji Marlpa Aboriginal Corporation. 14 July 2009.
- "Southern Yamatji (WC2017/002)". National Native Title Tribunal. 3 April 2017.
- Taylor, Paige; Bodey, Michael (23 July 2011). "The pain and joy of lost star David Ngoombujarra". The Australian.
- Tucak, Phil (29 September 2010). "Ken Wyatt makes Australian political history". SBS.
- "Wajarri Yamatji (WC2004/010)". National Native Title Tribunal. 21 December 2004.
- Wyatt, Ben (18 March 2015). "Ben Wyatt, MP, fights for remote Aboriginal communities in WA – IndigenousX". The Guardian.
- "Yamatji Marlpa Aboriginal Corporation". Yamatji Marlpa Aboriginal Corporation. 30 January 2007.