Yale Journal of Biology and Medicine
The Yale Journal of Biology and Medicine is a quarterly peer-reviewed open-access medical journal. It was established in October, 1928 and is the oldest medical student publication still being published. Since 2015, each issue covers a particular topic in biology, medicine, or public health, including experimental and clinical research. The journal's editorial board is composed of Yale University graduate, medical, and professional students. It is published on PubMed Central and is financially supported by the Yale Office of Medical Education.
|Discipline||Biology, medicine, medical education|
Yale University Press (United States)
|License||Creative Commons Attribution License|
|Yale J. Biol. Med.|
The journal was establlished in 1928 by Milton C. Winternitz, dean of the Yale School of Medicine from 1920-1935. During his tenure, Winternitz instituted what became known as "The Yale System of Medical Education", which eliminated required course exams and comparative grades, allowed for flexibility of course requirements in students' schedules, and encouraged students to carry out original thesis research and writing. The journal originally served as an outlet to publish students' thesis research and as a tool for students to practice scientific writing and learn how to publish as scientists and researchers.
Abstracting and indexingEdit
The journal sponsors a series of quarterly seminars to run in parallel with each issue, featuring a Yale faculty member whose research expertise aligns with the topic featured in the issue. The colloquia are free and open to the public.
- "Our History". Yale Journal of Biology and Medicine. Yale University Press. Retrieved 2018-04-19.
- "Open Access Information". Yale Journal of Biology and Medicine. Retrieved 2018-07-10.
- http://medicine.yale.edu/education/admissions/education/yalesystem.aspx "The Yale System"][dead link]
- "Yale Journal of Biology and Medicine". NLM Catalog. National Center for Biotechnology Information. Retrieved 2018-07-10.
- "Source details: Yale Journal of Biology and Medicine". Scopus preview. Elsevier. Retrieved 2018-07-10.
- "Colloquium Series > Yale Journal of Biology and Medicine". Yale Journal of Biology and Medicine. Yale School of Medicine. Retrieved 2018-04-15.
- "YJBM Podcasts". Yale Journal of Biology and Medicine. Yale School of Medicine. Retrieved 2018-07-10.