XHHCU-TDT is a television station in Mexico City, broadcasting on UHF channel 45. The station received its permit in 2010 and signed on July 16, 2015 as the first over-the-air outlet of the Canal del Congreso.
|Branding||Canal del Congreso|
|Slogan||El Canal de la Unión|
|Channels||Digital: 18 (UHF)|
Virtual: 45 (PSIP)
|Owner||Congreso de la Unión|
|Founded||March 31, 2010|
|First air date||June 24, 2010|
|Call letters' meaning||XH Honorable Congreso de la Unión|
|Transmitter power||179.140 kW|
As early as 1999, when the Canal del Congreso was being launched, Congress looked into the possibility of putting it on broadcast television.
Congress did not begin to build out the station until January 2012, when it signed a pact with Canal 22 under which Canal 22 would provide technical infrastructure and services to XHHCU. The arrangement would generate considerable cost savings. XHHCU-TDT's transmitter was located on the XEIMT-TV/TDT tower until 2018.
In early 2014, the station was still not on the air, though it began testing in April. The final delay, as of May 2014, was negotiations with the borough of Gustavo A. Madero to install a transmitter on Cerro del Chiquihuite. The Congress eventually planned to sign on additional broadcast transmitters to extend Canal del Congreso's over-the-air reach; however, the primary avenue of broadcast expansion has since been changed to SPR transmitters.
Ultimately, XHHCU, after years of planning, came to air with Canal del Congreso programming on July 16, 2015; the station formally launched on August 6, 2015.
In 2016, Congress received its own land parcel on Cerro del Chiquihuite which will allow it to stop renting space and equipment from Canal 22. The new transmitter facility and tower was dedicated on March 7, 2018. In June 2018, the IFT approved the frequency channel change of XHHCU-TDT to physical channel 18, which was carried out on September 7 of that year. The station kept its nationwide assigned virtual channel for Canal del Congreso, 45.1.
- RPC: #034455 Transmitter Relocation — XHHCU-TDT
- "Canal del Congreso será transmitido en televisión digital abierta", El Economista (Notimex) 18 January 2012
- "El Congreso de la Unión y el Canal 22 firman Convenio de Colaboración", 18 January 2012 Archived July 14, 2014, at the Wayback Machine
- "Asamblea Legislativa del DF, a televisión abierta", Milenio 23 January 2014
- "Avanzan gestiones para transmisión abierta del Canal del Congreso", Crónica (Notimex) 31 May 2014
- "El Canal del Congreso inicia este miércoles transmisiones en televisión abierta", Etcétera 4 August 2015]
- "A 20 años de su creación, instalan estación transmisora del Canal del Congreso en el cerro del Chiquihuite". Senado. 7 March 2018. Retrieved 7 March 2018.