Nation Radio Wales
Nation Radio Wales is a regional radio station, broadcasting to south and west Wales on FM and across Wales on DAB. It is owned and operated by Nation Broadcasting and broadcasts from studios near the St Hilary transmitter on the outskirts of Cowbridge.
|First air date||29 November 2007|
|Format||Mainstream pop and guitar music|
The station's music playlist originally consisted of new and classic guitar-led music, reflecting the franchise won originally by XFM, but in 2015, the format was changed to play format with a new tag line on air 80s,90s,00s and now. It is distinct from DRAGON radio as that is 60s,70s,80s.
Nation Radio began broadcasting on 16 June 2008, taking over the regional Ofcom broadcasting licence, which was held by XFM South Wales until GCap Media sold the station to Town and Country (now Nation Broadcasting) on 30 May 2008.
In 2013, Nation Radio increased its coverage area via DAB - it began broadcasting to north-east Wales and parts of Cheshire and Merseyside in March, via MuxCo's Wrexham, Chester and Liverpool multiplex. In August, the station launched in Pembrokeshire and Carmarthenshire via the Muxco Mid and West Wales multiplex.
In December 2017, Nation began broadcasting on FM in Carmarthenshire (102.9 FM) and Pembrokeshire (107.1 FM)
Since March 2018, Nation Radio has broadcast in stereo on DAB+ in North East Wales. In December 2018, OFCOM gave the station's owners permission to replace sister station Radio Ceredigion with a relay of Nation. Five months later, it was reported Nation had decided to retain the local service and would request to reverse its decision on the station's format.
The station's presenters include Carl Hughes (Breakfast Show), Rachel Chew, Sean Gerrard (Weekday drivetime) and Mike Jordan (Weekday evenings).
Local news bulletins air hourly from 6am-6pm on weekdays (with headlines at 6.30, 7.30, and 8.30 during The More Music Breakfast) and from 8am to midday at weekends. As of June 2016, the station's news bulletins are provided by independent company Radio NewsHub in Leeds.
- WalesOnline: Channel Xfm radio changes hands. Icwales.icnetwork.co.uk (2 June 2008). Retrieved on 31 December 2011.
- Shepherd, Rob (30 May 2008). "GCap sells Xfm South Wales". Broadcast. Retrieved 30 May 2008.
- "XFM South Wales sold". Radio Today. 30 May 2008. Retrieved 30 May 2008.
- "Xfm south Wales: GCap sells station to Town and Country Broadcasting", ''Media. The Guardian. Retrieved on 31 December 2011.
- "Wrexham, Chester and Liverpool". MuxCo. Retrieved 2 April 2013.
- Listen to Nation in Carmarthenshire and Pembrokeshire, Nation Radio Wales/
- Our DAB transmisisons in North East Wales are changing soon, Nation Radio Wales
- Nation requests Radio Ceredigion to continue in Format u-turn, Radio Today, 12 April 2019
- Nation Radio current schedule
- Nation Broadcasting signs deal with Radio NewsHub, RadioToday, 3 June 2016