Wysox Township, Bradford County, Pennsylvania
Wysox General Store
Map of Bradford County with Wysox Township highlighted
Map of Bradford County, Pennsylvania
|• Chairman||Evan Barnes|
|• Total||23.32 sq mi (60.41 km2)|
|• Land||22.72 sq mi (58.85 km2)|
|• Water||0.60 sq mi (1.56 km2)|
|Elevation||718 feet ft (218 Meters m)|
| • Estimate |
|• Density||72.92/sq mi (28.16/km2)|
Wysox Township is located in east-central Bradford County, along the northeast bank of the Susquehanna River. It is bordered by Sheshequin Township to the northwest, Rome Township to the north, Orwell and Herrick townships to the east, and Standing Stone Township to the southeast. Across the Susquehanna, Asylum Township is to the south, Towanda Township is to the southwest, and the borough of Towanda and North Towanda Township are to the west. The unincorporated communities of Wysox and East Towanda are in the southern part of the township, and Myersburg is near the center of the township, in the valley of Wysox Creek.
|U.S. Decennial Census|
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,763 people, 710 households, and 506 families residing in the township. The population density was 78.4 people per square mile (30.3/km2). There were 798 housing units at an average density of 35.5/sq mi (13.7/km2). The racial makeup of the township was 97.22% White, 0.23% African American, 0.68% Native American, 0.57% Asian, 0.45% from other races, and 0.85% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.96% of the population.
There were 710 households, out of which 31.0% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 57.0% were married couples living together, 10.7% had a female householder with no husband present, and 28.6% were non-families. 22.0% of all households were made up of individuals, and 7.9% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.48 and the average family size was 2.88.
In the township the population was spread out, with 23.8% under the age of 18, 7.1% from 18 to 24, 27.8% from 25 to 44, 24.6% from 45 to 64, and 16.6% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 40 years. For every 100 females, there were 105.0 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 98.7 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $37,100, and the median income for a family was $42,411. Males had a median income of $31,439 versus $20,792 for females. The per capita income for the township was $19,706. About 9.8% of families and 10.8% of the population were below the poverty line, including 19.7% of those under age 18 and 3.1% of those age 65 or over.
- "2016 U.S. Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved Aug 13, 2017.
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". Retrieved June 9, 2017.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Wysox township, Bradford County, Pennsylvania". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Archived from the original on February 12, 2020. Retrieved March 21, 2014.
- Sexton, John L. (1885). An outline history of Tioga and Bradford counties in Pennsylvania, Chemung, Steuben, Tioga, Tompkins and Schuyler in New York. Elmira, NY: Gazette Co. pp. 113–114.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2016.
- "U.S. Census website". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.