World of Warships
World of Warships is a free-to-play naval warfare-themed massively multiplayer online game produced and published by Wargaming following the earlier games World of Tanks and World of Warplanes. Besides random battles against others, player can play cooperative battle types against bots or an advanced PvE battle mode. For the most skilled players, two seasonal competitive modes are available.
|World of Warships|
World of Warships cover art
|Platform(s)||Microsoft Windows, macOS, iOS, Android, PlayStation 4, Xbox One|
|Release||September 17, 2015 (Win)|
World of Warships was originally released for Microsoft Windows and macOS in 2017. The computer version was followed by the iOS mobile game titled World of Warships Blitz in 2018. The PlayStation 4 and Xbox console version titled World of Warships: Legends followed in 2019.
World of Warships is a tactical, slow-paced shooter with two basic types of armament: ship guns and torpedoes. The game itself is team-based, so it gives to players an ability to work as a team. Within a team divisions can be established to allow a group of up to three players to join and fight battles together. The player's team can fight against other players (PvP) or against the AI (PvE) in three battle modes: Standard, Domination, and Epicenter. Each mode is scored on a points system.
The warships presented in the game cover periods from the early 20th century, at the dawn of dreadnought battleships, up to warships from the 1950s, including ships that were planned but never put into production. The game has four different types of ships: destroyers, cruisers, battleships, and aircraft carriers.
Navies represented in the game include the United States Navy, the Imperial Japanese Navy, the Imperial German Navy and the Kriegsmarine of Germany, the Royal Navy, the Imperial Russian Navy and the Soviet Navy navies of Russia, French Navy, and a Pan-Asian tree featuring ships from various East and Southeast Asian navies. Other navies so far in-game are represented with individual non-tree "premium" ships including the Polish Navy, the Republic of China Navy and the People's Liberation Army Navy (both placed within Pan-Asia), the Royal Australian Navy and the Royal Canadian Navy (both placed under the Commonwealth), the Regia Marina, and the Argentine Navy.
Players can progress through the game through research of each ship from each tier. Each specific ship has a number of modules that can be accessed through experience. This experience is used to unlock modules and, once a ship's modules are completely researched, the player can continue to the next ship. The previous ship, if fully upgraded, gains Elite status. Warship elements such as commanders with skill trees and unique perks can be further customized, as well as modification kits and mounting consumables like signals and ship camouflage.
The game features combat missions, challenges, campaigns and collections for the sake of creating extra goals, rewards and a meaningful progression for players during their time with the game. These systems also give an opportunity of creating a storytelling inside or outside of the military or historical genres. Some special Halloween, April Fools, or other holiday battle modes appear in the game. The secondary goal of the “holiday modes” is to test new game mechanics.
Battles take place on a limited number of specific maps, each depicting a certain location with different geographical layouts mostly based on locations of historical naval battles. Most part of maps in World of Warships have a static or dynamic weather system to make battles even more diverse. Moreover, some maps are unique for a certain game mode, e.g. PvE scenario battles based on historical events such as the Dunkirk evacuation.
Scenarios is a PvE game mode where players cooperate and complete tasks. They include a number of operations, each with separate stories, objectives, secondary objectives and rewards. To finish the scenario, players need to team up and complete the primary objective. On completion of the secondary objectives, they receive an additional star.
In addition to Ranked Battles, Clan battles were introduced as another competitive mode that is played in the season format. Players can only participate in Clan Battles as a team, as opposed to Ranked battles where individual players compete against each other.
World of Warships: Legends was rebuilt to support console gameplay, sharing the same core gameplay loop of the computer version. However, it was designed to have faster paced battles, faster progression, and had several systems revamped to fit console players. 
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (April 2019)
Development and releaseEdit
On August 16, 2011, the company website of Wargaming, developer and publisher of World of Tanks and World of Warplanes, announced World of Battleships, a free-to-play naval action MMO, intended to complete the World of war trilogy developed by the company. On August 2, 2012, the game was renamed World of Warships. After a petition opened by South Korean players was signed 40,000 times, Wargaming removed the Rising Sun Flag from Imperial Japanese warships in July 2013. After that, more than 12,000 signatures were gathered requesting reimplementation of the Rising Sun Flag,but the decision was not overturned.On November 14, 2013, the game entered closed alpha testing.
Closed beta testing for World of Warships started on March 12, 2015, shortly after closed alpha ended, with the non-disclosure agreement covering the alpha being lifted at the same time. On April 9, 2015, pre-order packages consisting of premium warships and access to the closed beta test became available for purchase by players. Open beta testing for World of Warships started on July 2, 2015, as the final step prior to the game's formal launch. As of the open beta test, approximately 85% of the core game development have been completed and there were future plans to introduce weather effects and night battle after the game's official release.
On September 3, 2015, Wargaming announced that the game had exited open beta. The game was officially launched on September 17, 2015, and later released through Steam and Microsoft Store on November 15, 2017.
An iOS version World of Warships Blitz was released by Wargaming Mobile on January 18, 2018. A console version of the computer game, World of Warships: Legends, was announced on June 20, 2018, and was released in Early Access and Game Preview for the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One on April 16, 2019. World of Warships: Legends fully released on August 12, 2019. 
During Tokyo Game Show 2014, Wargaming announced a collaboration between World of Warships and the anime series Arpeggio of Blue Steel. The collaboration involves allowing players to unlock ships of the Fog Fleet from the anime, and doing special missions involving them. Another collaboration with the anime series High School Fleet was announced in September 2016.
This section needs expansion with: especially userbase & revenue. You can help by adding to it. (April 2019)
World of Warships has a score of 81/100 on Metacritic. IGN awarded it a score of 8.3 out of 10, stating that the combat feels good and that the game's teamwork is satisfying. GameSpot awarded it a score of 8.0 out of 10, saying "The thrills that await, along with the promise of unlocking advanced ships down the road, make World of Warships an enticing expedition into the sometimes turbulent waters of free-to-play games." The Escapist awarded it four out of five, saying "With its tense naval battles and huge array of historical vessels, World of Warships is the free-to-play MMO that can make a wargamer out of anyone."
- ""Позвольте представиться - Борис "Radiant" Синицкий"". WorldOfWarships.ru (in Russian). April 18, 2018.
- Nathan Lawrence (24 July 2015). "How World of Warships Sails Across History and Fun". Red Bull.
- "Interview with Artur Tokhtash, Head of Sound at Wargaming Saint Petersburg". Wargaming NA. April 9, 2014.
- "Paper Ships in the game". World of Warships official forum. Retrieved 2018-12-20.
- "Game World of Warships". World of Warships. Wargaming. Retrieved 1 Jun 2016.
- "August Combat Missions. Rewards Every Day! | World of Warships". worldofwarships.com. Retrieved 2018-12-20.
- "How To: Campaign Missions | World of Warships". worldofwarships.eu. Retrieved 2018-12-20.
- "Everything You Need to Know About Collections | World of Warships". worldofwarships.com. Retrieved 2018-12-20.
- "World of Warships gets submarines and giant sea monsters for Halloween". PCGamesN. Retrieved 2018-12-20.
- "Take to the stars in this year's World of Warships' April Fool's event". GameAxis. 2018-03-29. Retrieved 2018-12-20.
- "Maps found in Random Battles". World of Warships official forum. Retrieved 2018-12-20.
- "All you need to know about "Scenario" PvE mode [UPDATED] | World of Warships". worldofwarships.asia. Retrieved 2018-12-20.
- "Introduction to Ranked Battles | World of Warships". worldofwarships.eu. Retrieved 2018-12-20.
- "Clan Battles | World of Warships". worldofwarships.eu. Retrieved 2018-12-20.
- "World of Warships: Legends Is Now Officially Live | World of Warships". worldofwarships.com. Retrieved 2019-05-24.
- "Wargaming.net Declares Naval Warfare". Wargaming America. August 16, 2011. Archived from the original on August 22, 2012. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "Wargaming Renames World of Battleships to World of Warships". Wargaming America. August 2, 2012. Archived from the original on August 6, 2012. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- Corriea, Alexa Ray (July 5, 2013). of Warships removes Rising Sun flag after Korean gamers' outcry (update) "World of Warships removes Rising Sun flag after Korean gamers' outcry (Update)" Check
|url=value (help). Polygon.
- "Why isn't the IJN Rising Sun flag in the game? | World of Warships". na.wargaming.net. Retrieved 2019-08-15.
- "『World of Warships』が「旭日旗」使用制限のガイドライン制定…ゲーム内実装の署名運動は賛同1万人超". インサイド (in Japanese). Retrieved 2019-08-15.
- Williams, Jeff (2015-07-10). "World of Warships - Removing Rising Sun Flag In Response To Criticism: The Importance of Symbolism". Wccftech. Retrieved 2019-08-15.
- "旭日旗使用に関するガイドラインのお知らせ". World of Warships Official Asia Forums. Retrieved 2019-08-15.
- "World of Warships enters Closed Alpha Test". Wargaming America. November 14, 2013.
- "Closed Beta: Full Steam Ahead". Wargaming America. March 12, 2015. Archived from the original on 3 March 2015.
- "World of Warships Pre-Order Packages Now Available". Wargaming Asia. April 9, 2015.
- "World of Warships Now in Open Beta". 2 July 2015. Archived from the original on 3 July 2015.
- "オープンベータテスト開幕！ 『World of Warships』開発のキーマンに聞く from サンクトペテルブルク【その1】". Famitsu (in Japanese). July 9, 2015.
- Orry, James (September 3, 2015). "World of Warships officially launches on September 17". VideoGamer.com. Retrieved September 3, 2015.
- "World of Warships on Steam". store.steampowered.com. Retrieved 2019-05-24.
- "World of Warships Blitz: release date and more info". goto.game. 2017-12-22. Retrieved 2019-05-24.
- Wargaming.net (2018-06-20). "Prepare to Set Sail in World of Warships: Legends". GlobeNewswire News Room. Retrieved 2019-05-24.
- "World of Warships: Legends Is Now Officially Live | World of Warships". worldofwarships.com. Retrieved 2019-05-24.
- "World of Warships: Legends Celebrates Full Release With Ambitious New Campaign | IGN". IGN.com. Retrieved 2019-08-16.
- "World of Warships, Arpeggio of Blue Steel Join Forces". Anime News Network. September 18, 2014.
- "Collaboration with Anime Series "High School Fleet" Announced!". World of Warships Asia. 15 September 2016.
- "World of Warships for PC Reviews". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved 14 February 2016.
- "World of Warships Blitz for iPhone/iPad Reviews". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved 27 July 2019.
- "World of Warships: Legends for PlayStation 4 Reviews". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved 27 July 2019.
- Joe Layton (October 13, 2015). "World of Warships review". Electronic Gaming Monthly.
- Cameron Woolsey (September 17, 2015). "World of Warships Review". GameSpot. Retrieved 14 February 2016.
- Rob Zacny (23 September 2015). "World of Warships Review". IGN. Retrieved 14 February 2016.
- "World of Warships". PC Gamer US. 2015-09-29.
- Tylwalk, Nick (25 January 2018). "'World of Warships Blitz' Review – Smoke (and Shells and Torpedoes) on the Water". TouchArcade. Retrieved 27 July 2019.
- "World of Warships Test Der 15-Minuten-Admiral". GameStar (in German). July 7, 2015.
- "World of Warships Launch Review". The Escapist. 17 September 2015. Retrieved 14 February 2016.
- "Review: World of Warships". Hardcore Gamer. September 23, 2015.
- "World of Warships, battaglie navali come non se ne sono mai viste - recensione". Eurogamer Italy (in Italian). September 24, 2015.
- "2016 Games Multiplayer". BAFTA Awards. Retrieved 1 June 2016.