World Soccer (magazine)
World Soccer is an English language football magazine published by IPC Media. The magazine was established in 1960. It specialises in the international football scene. Its regular contributing writers include Brian Glanville, Sid Lowe and Tim Vickery. World Soccer is a member of the European Sports Magazines (ESM), an umbrella group of similar magazines printed in other languages. Other members include A Bola, Don Balón, Kicker, La Gazzetta dello Sport and Sport Express. The members of this group elect a European "Team of the Month" and a European "Team of the Year".
|Circulation||331 000 (Jan - Dec 2013)|
|Publisher||IPC Media, Time Inc.|
Since 1982, World Soccer has also organised "Player of the Year", "Manager of the Year" and "Team of the Year" awards. In 2005 awards for the best "Young Player of the Year" and "Referee of the Year" were also introduced. In the December 1999 issue of World Soccer, a readers' poll listing the 100 greatest football players of the 20th century was published.
The magazine marked its 50th anniversary in 2010 with a series of articles looking back on the past 50 years in international football.
Player of the Year all-time winsEdit
Player Wins by countryEdit
Young Player of the YearEdit
- 2005 – Robinho, Santos (30%)
- 2006 – Lionel Messi, Barcelona (36%)
- 2007 – Lionel Messi, Barcelona (48%)
- 2008 – Lionel Messi, Barcelona & Argentina (44%)
- 2009 – Sergio Agüero, Atlético Madrid & Argentina (45.1%)
- 2010 – Thomas Müller, Bayern Munich & Germany (45.8%)
- 2011 – Neymar, Santos & Brazil (29.2%)
World Team of the YearEdit
Referee of the YearEdit
Greatest XI of all timeEdit
The list is based on votes of 73 experts around the world.
(Published in July 2013)
Greatest managers of all timeEdit
The list is based on votes of 70 experts around the world. Every expert could choose five managers whom they considered the greatest.
|Pos.||Nationality||Name||Votes||% of Votes|
|1||Sir Alex Ferguson||49||70%|
|13||Vicente del Bosque||8||11.43%|
|22||César Luis Menotti||4||5.71%|
|-||Luiz Felipe Scolari||2||-|
The following managers only received one vote (1.43%):
- Luis Aragonés
- Leo Beenhakker
- Rafael Benítez
- Marcelo Bielsa
- Bob Bradley
- Matt Busby
- Jack Charlton
- Kazimierz Górski
- Jupp Heynckes
- Gérard Houllier
- Tomislav Ivić
- Ștefan Kovács
- Udo Lattek
- Hugo Meisl
- Otto Rehhagel
- Carlos Alberto Parreira
- Antoni Piechniczek
- Nereo Rocco
- Árpád Weisz
- Arsène Wenger
- Walter Winterbottom
The Greatest Players of the 20th centuryEdit
(Published December 1999)
- FIFA World Cup All-Time Team
- FIFA World Cup Dream Team
- FIFA 100
- FIFA Player of the Century
- World Team of the 20th Century
- "ABC Certificates and Reports: World Soccer" (PDF). NRS Readership Estimates - General Magazines. Retrieved 15 February 2014.
- Stewart Coggin. "Top 5 Soccer Magazines". About Sports. Retrieved 25 July 2015.
- "World Soccer Awards: Previous Winners". World Soccer. 15 December 2011. Retrieved 11 January 2012.
- "World Soccer Awards: Previous Winners". World Soccer. Retrieved 16 April 2011.
- "Cristiano Ronaldo wins World Soccer award". World Soccer. 11 December 2008. Retrieved 7 October 2011.
- "Messi voted World Soccer Player of the Year". World Soccer. 10 December 2009. Retrieved 7 October 2011.
- "Xavi voted World Soceer Player of the Year". World Soccer. 16 December 2010.
- "Lionel Messi voted World Soccer's Player of the Year". World Soccer. 15 December 2011.
- "Lionel Messi wins World Soccer Player of the Year award!". World Soccer. 14 December 2012.
- "Cristiano Ronaldo is World Soccer's Player of the Year 2013". World Soccer. 12 December 2013. Retrieved 12 December 2013.
- "Cristiano Ronaldo voted World Soccer Player of the Year". World Soccer. 30 December 2014. Retrieved 30 December 2014.
- "World Soccer Awards: Messi leads the way as Barcelona sweep the board". World Soccer. 30 December 2015. Retrieved 31 December 2015.
- "World Soccer Awards 2016: Cristiano Ronaldo named Player of the Year". 1 December 2016. Retrieved 1 December 2016.
- "World Soccer Awards 2016: Claudio Ranieri scoops accolade for best manager". 1 December 2016. Retrieved 24 December 2016.
- "2007 World Soccer Awards: Kaka wins World Player of the Year award". World Soccer. Archived from the original on 5 January 2011. Retrieved 12 December 2008.
- "Cristiano Ronaldo wins World Soccer award". World Soccer. 11 December 2008. Retrieved 12 December 2008.
- "The Greatest XI".
- "The Greatest Manager of all time".
- "The Greatest XI: how the panel voted".
- "England Player Honours – World Soccer Players of the Century". World Soccer. England Football Online. Retrieved 11 January 2012.