World Osteoporosis Day
World Osteoporosis Day is observed annually on October 20th, and launches a year-long campaign dedicated to raising global awareness of the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of osteoporosis and metabolic bone disease. Organized by the International Osteoporosis Foundation (IOF), the World Osteoporosis Day campaign is accompanied by community events and local campaigns by national osteoporosis patient societies from around the world with activities in over 90 countries.
|World Osteoporosis Day|
|Next time||20 October 2021|
World Osteoporosis Day was launched on October 20th 1996 by the United Kingdom’s National Osteoporosis Society and supported by the European Commission. Since 1997, the awareness day has been organised by the International Osteoporosis Foundation. In 1998 and 1999, the World Health Organization acted as co-sponsor of World Osteoporosis Day. The day also marks the launch of a year-long campaign to raise awareness of osteoporosis and metabolic bone disease. Since 1999 these campaigns have featured a specific theme.
- 1996: Awareness
- 1997: Awareness
- 1998: Awareness
- 1999: Early Detection
- 2000: Building Bone Health
- 2001: Bone Development in Youth
- 2002: Preventing a First Fracture
- 2003: Quality of Life
- 2004: Osteoporosis in Men
- 2005: Exercise
- 2006: Nutrition
- 2007: Risk Factors
- 2008: Advocate for Policy Change
- 2009: Advocate for Policy Change
- 2010: Signs and Symptoms of Spinal Fractures
- 2011: 3 Steps to Prevention: Calcium, Vitamin D and Exercise
- 2012: Stop at One: Make your First Break your Last
- 2013: Strong Women Make Stronger Women
- 2014: Real Men Build Their Strength from Within
- 2015: Serve Up Bone Strength
- 2016: Love Your Bones - Protect your Future
- 2017: Love Your Bones - Protect your Future
- "IOF Releases Report for World Osteoporosis Day". 2011. Retrieved 2011-05-17. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "World Osteoporosis Day Global Activities". 2011. Retrieved 2011-05-17. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "World Osteoporosis Day 2016 theme announced". 2016.
- "Awareness Days".
- "Raise Awareness: Next week is World Osteoporosis Day on Oct. 20th".
- "World Osteoporosis Day Thematic Reports".