Woodrow Wilson High School (Portland, Oregon)
|Ida B. Wells-Barnett High School|
1151 SW Vermont
|Motto||"Diligence, Excellence, Integrity"|
|School district||Portland Public Schools|
|Number of students||1,413 (2016–2017 enrollment)|
|Color(s)||Forest green and white |
|Athletics conference||OSAA Portland Interscholastic League 6A-1|
|Team name||Wilson Trojans|
|Rival||Lincoln High School|
Wilson High School was built in 1954, after a ballot measure was passed in 1945 providing $5,000,000 to improve Portland's school system. Population was growing explosively, so emphasis was put on economy and ease of building, instead of on architectural style as was the norm in the earlier school buildings. Wilson High School, which was designed by the firm Edmundson and Kochendoerfer, used the technique of lift-slab construction to speed up construction. Wilson was the first building in the Northwest to use that technique.
In July 2020, Portland Public Schools pledged to rename Wilson High School in response to pressure from the community in light of the racial justice movement that followed the death of George Floyd.
- Kenji Bunch, violist and composer
- Ginny Burdick, communications consultant and member of the Oregon State Senate
- Boaz Frankel, television personality
- Alicia Lagano, actress
- Paul Linnman, television news reporter and anchor; radio personality
- Dale Murphy, professional baseball player, 7-time All-Star, twice National League MVP
- Damon Stoudamire, basketball player and coach, 1996 NBA Rookie of the Year
- Wayne Twitchell, professional baseball player
- "Executive Summary: Wilson High School". AdvancED. 2014. p. 3. Retrieved November 29, 2017.
- "New Principal for Wilson High School Named". Pamplin Media. Retrieved June 18, 2019.
- "Filip Hristić". Portland Public Schools. Retrieved December 1, 2019.
- "Oregon School Directory 2018–19" (PDF). Oregon Department of Education. p. 69. Retrieved February 1, 2019.
- "School Profiles & Enrollment Data 2016-2017" (PDF). Portland Public Schools. p. 299. Retrieved November 29, 2017.
- "Wilson High School (Portland, oregon)". Oregon Digital. University of Oregon Libraries, Oregon State University Libraries. Retrieved February 1, 2019.
- Oregonian/OregonLive, Eder Campuzano | The (2020-07-15). "Portland Public Schools will rename Wilson High by spring 2021, more buildings to come". oregonlive. Retrieved 2021-01-12.
- Stabler, David (March 9, 2010). "Homecoming for composer Kenji Bunch at the Portland Youth Philharmonic". OregonLive. Retrieved November 29, 2017.
- Janet Christ (June 1, 2000). "He's Got a Future Full of Drama". The Oregonian. p. D02.
- Rob Owen, Special to The Oregonian. "Ex-Portlander Alicia Lagano shows her grit in 'Client List'". OregonLive.com. Retrieved April 17, 2012.
- "Commissioner names aides". The Oregonian. January 4, 1973. Section 2, p. 13.
- "Dale Murphy Stats". Baseball Reference. Retrieved November 29, 2017.
- "Damon Stoudamire Stats". Basketball Reference. Retrieved November 29, 2017.
- "Wayne Twitchell Stats". Baseball Reference. Retrieved November 29, 2017.