On 7 September 1976, Clapton wrote "Wonderful Tonight" for Boyd while waiting for her to get ready to attend Paul and Linda McCartney's annual Buddy Holly party. Of "Wonderful Tonight", Boyd would say: "For years it tore at me. To have inspired Eric, and George before him, to write such music was so flattering. 'Wonderful Tonight' was the most poignant reminder of all that was good in our relationship, and when things went wrong it was torture to hear it." The song is mentioned in her autobiographical book Wonderful Tonight: George Harrison, Eric Clapton, and Me.
"Wonderful Tonight" was covered by British R&B/pop group Damage in 1997, and was released as the fifth single from the band's debut studio album, Forever. The single peaked at #3 on the UK Singles Chart, becoming the band's most successful single to date, also peaking high in several other territories, which was a first for the band. The song is prominently performed by Richards, with little vocal input from any other members of the band. The music video features the band performing the song in a recording studio with cut scenes of a girl preparing to go on a night out. The b-side, "I'm Ready", launched the career of Craig David, being the first song he had ever written to be released by himself or another artist.
- "Wonderful Tonight" – 4:01
- "I'm Ready" (Bromfield/Richards/Simpson/Jones/Harriott/Craig David, produced by Mark Lewis)
- "Wonderful Tonight" (Ethnic Boyz Mix)
- "Wonderful Tonight" (Acoustic Mix)
- "Just My Imagination" (Whitfield/Strong, produced by Howard Francis)
- "Love II Love" (Acoustic Mix)
- "Wonderful Tonight" – 4:01
- "I'm Ready"
- Chart performance
David Kersh versionEdit
"Wonderful Tonight" was covered by country singer David Kersh in 1998. His version went to #29 on the Hot Country Songs chart.
Other cover versionsEdit
This section does not cite any sources
. (December 2016)
- The song was covered by country music singer Butch Baker, whose rendition reached #66 on the Billboard Hot Country Songs chart in 1989.
- Also in 1989, a Spanish cover was recorded by Argentinian singer JAF.
- The song was frequently covered by 1990's Minneapolis Alt-Country band Steve's Piece.
- A cover version by an unknown artist is used on the 2004 DVD release of BBC sketch show Big Train featuring a horse, replacing the original version from the broadcast edit due to rights issues.
- Filipino musician and entrepreneur Ramon "RJ" Jacinto covered the song for his 2000 album, The Ultimate RJ Bistro Collection. It also later appeared on his 2005 compilation album, Rock 'n Roll Classics.
- Country artist Don Williams covered the song and it appeared on his 2004 album, My Heart to You.
- Michael Bublé covered the song on his album, Call Me Irresponsible in 2007.
- R&B singer Babyface covered the song on his album Playlist in 2007.
- Mandopop singer-songwriter Khalil Fong covered the song on his 2009 album, Timeless.
- On the 20th anniversary edition of WWE's Monday Night Raw, The Rock performed a parody version of the song during a "Rock Concert" segment, poking fun at Vickie Guerrero.
- In 2009, Olly Murs performed a cover of the song when he was in the bottom two with John & Edward on the 6th series of The X Factor.
- In November 2013, actor Jeremy Irons performed the first verse of the song, accompanying himself on guitar, on the Canadian talk show George Stroumboulopoulos Tonight.
- ^ Chris Smith (2006). Greenwood Press, ed. The Greenwood Encyclopedia of Rock History: From arenas to the underground, 1974–1980. p. 102. ISBN 978-0-313-33611-9. "the hard-rock pioneer and guitar god also become a soft-rock star in the mid-1970s. He celebrated his sobriety with (... ) the Top 5 hit "Lay Down Sally" and hit No. 16 with the ballad "Wonderful Tonight," both off his 1977 Slowhand album"
- ^ Pattie Boyd (11 August 2007). "I'd pray Eric would pass out and not touch me' - Part 2 of Pattie Boyd's sensational autobiography". Daily Mail. Associated Newspapers Ltd. Retrieved 8 March 2008.
- ^ "Ultratop.be – Eric Clapton – Wonderful Tonight" (in Dutch). Ultratop 50. Retrieved 2015-07-30.
- ^ "Radio2 Top 30 Artiest: Eric Clapton". VRT (in Dutch). Top30-2.radio2.be. Archived from the original on 27 September 2015. Retrieved 30 July 2015.
- ^ "1050 CHUM – CHUM Charts". Archived from the original on 22 February 2006. Retrieved 24 March 2016.. CHUM. Retrieved August 15, 2015.
- ^ "Top Singles – Volume 29, No. 18, July 29, 1978". Library and Archives Canada. Retrieved 2015-07-30.
- ^ a b Gustave, Heidé. Le Singles Argent de la SNEP (1978) (in French) (43 ed.). Paris: Decovert.
'Wonderful Tonight' spent 17 weeks on the national french singles chart and peaked at number three. It was requested to be certified silver. The certification was awarded on the last week, 'Wonderful Tonight' charted in France.
- ^ "The Irish Charts – Search Results – Wonderful Tonight". Irish Singles Chart. Retrieved 2015-07-30.
- ^ Oricon International Singles. "Eric Clapton" – Wonderful Tonight.
- ^ "Nederlandse Top 40 – Eric Clapton - Wonderful Tonight search results" (in Dutch) Dutch Top 40. Retrieved 2015-07-30.
- ^ "Dutchcharts.nl – Eric Clapton – Wonderful Tonight" (in Dutch). Single Top 100. Retrieved 2015-07-30.
- ^ "Charts.org.nz – Eric Clapton – Wonderful Tonight". Top 40 Singles. Retrieved 2015-07-30.
- ^ "Slowhand – Eric Clapton – Awards – AllMusic". AllMusic. Rovi Corporation. Retrieved 2015-07-30.
- ^ Whitburn, Joel (1993). Top Adult Contemporary: 1961–1993. Record Research. p. 50.
- ^ "Top Singles – Volume 30, No. 14, December 30, 1978". Library and Archives Canada. Retrieved August 15, 2015.
- ^ "Jaaroverzichten 1988". Ultratop Charts. ultratop.be – Stefan Hung – Hung Medien. Retrieved August 15, 2015.
- ^ "Jaaroverzichten 1988". MegaCharts.nl. dutchcharts.nl – Stefan Hung – Hung Medien. Retrieved August 15, 2015.
- ^ a b c d e f g h Keil, Astrid (2014). Die Musikindustrie (Limitierte Auflage). p. 24.
- ^ Miyahara, Ayano (2003). 12月23日からエリック·クラプトンの最高のバラード！. Yomiuri Shimbun.
- ^ Macao Music Sales (2001-2009). Record Sales. 2015-02-08 (Former link: recordsales.2xik.com/The-first-blog-b1/Macao-Music-Sales-2001-2009-b1-p1.htm).
- ^ "British single certifications – Eric Clapton – Wonderful Tonight". British Phonographic Industry. Retrieved October 21, 2015. Enter Wonderful Tonight in the search field and then press Enter.
- ^ "American single certifications – Eric Clapton – Wonderful Tonight". Recording Industry Association of America. Retrieved October 21, 2015. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH
- ^ "Australian-charts.com – Damage – Wonderful Tonight". ARIA Top 50 Singles. Retrieved 30 July 2013.
- ^ "The Irish Charts – Search Results – Damage". Irish Singles Chart. Retrieved 30 July 2013.
- ^ "Dutchcharts.nl – Damage – Wonderful Tonight" (in Dutch). Single Top 100. Retrieved 30 July 2013.
- ^ "Charts.org.nz – Damage – Wonderful Tonight". Top 40 Singles. Retrieved 30 July 2013.
- ^ "Official Scottish Singles Sales Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company.
- ^ "Official Singles Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company. Retrieved 30 July 2013.
- ^ "Top RPM Country Tracks: Issue 7891." RPM. Library and Archives Canada. 24 August 1998. Retrieved 3 September 2013.
- ^ "David Kersh – Chart history" Billboard Hot Country Songs for David Kersh. Retrieved 3 September 2013.