Women and Brigands
Women and Brigands (Italian: Donne e briganti) is a 1950 French-Italian historical melodrama film directed by Mario Soldati and starring Amedeo Nazzari, Maria Mauban and Jean Chevrier.  It is based on the story of the legendary guerilla fighter Fra Diavolo, who led a major uprising against French forces in Naples during the Napoleonic Wars. In 1953 it was released in a dubbed version in the United States under the alternative title The King's Guerrillas.
|Women and Brigands|
|Directed by||Mario Soldati|
|Written by||Pierre Lestringuez |
Vittorio Nino Novarese
|Produced by||Valentino Brosio|
|Starring||Amedeo Nazzari |
|Edited by||Mario Serandrei|
|Music by||Nino Rota|
|Distributed by||Lux Film|
|3 November 1950|
The film was made at the Farnesina Studios in Rome with Location shooting taking place at the Royal Palace of Caserta. The films's sets were designed by the art director Ottavio Scotti. It earned around 206 million lira at the Italian box office.
- Amedeo Nazzari as Michele Pezza/Fra Diavolo
- Maria Mauban as Marietta
- Jean Chevrier as Generale Hugo
- Paolo Stoppa as Peppino Luciani
- Enrico Viarisio as Cardinal Ruffo
- Nando Bruno as Beato
- Jacqueline Pierreux as Nora
- Giuseppe Porelli as Ferdinand IV, King of Naples
- Guido Celano as Sergente borbone
- Felice Minotti as Furiere Dupont
- Virgilio Riento as Fra Marco
- Enrico Luzi as Sentinella
- Nino Vingelli as Ciccillo
- Ada Dondini as Madre superiora
- Rina Franchetti as Suor Emilia
- Augusto Di Giovanni as Guardia al palazzo reale
- Anna Maria Canali as Bambina
- Gianni Luda as Brigante
- Aprà p.111
- Gundle p.257
- Chiti & Poppi p.126
- Aprà, Adriano. The Fabulous Thirties: Italian cinema 1929-1944. Electa International, 1979.
- Chiti, Roberto & Poppi, Roberto. Dizionario del cinema italiano: Dal 1945 al 1959. Gremese Editore, 1991.
- Gundle, Stephen. Fame Amid the Ruins: Italian Film Stardom in the Age of Neorealism. Berghahn Books, 2019.