WNBA Most Valuable Player Award
The Women's National Basketball Association Most Valuable Player (MVP) is an annual Women's National Basketball Association (WNBA) award given since the league's inaugural season -- 1997. MVP voting takes place immediately following the regular season. The award recipient is decided by a panel of sportswriters and broadcasters throughout the United States. Panel members were asked to select their top five choices for the award, with 10 points being awarded for a first place vote, seven for second, five for third, three for fourth and one for fifth.
In 2008, fans could also have a say in who won the award. Fans were able to vote online for their top five MVP picks. These selections accounted for 25% of the total vote, while the media panel's selections accounted for the other 75%.
Candace Parker is the only player to win Rookie of the Year and MVP in the same season -- 2008.
|^||Denotes player who is still active in the WNBA|
|*||Inducted into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame|
|Inducted into the Women's Basketball Hall of Fame|
|#||Denotes player whose team won championship that year|
|Player (X)||Denotes the number of times the player has been named MVP|
|Team (X)||Denotes the number of times a player from this team has won|