This article includes a list of references, related reading, or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (December 2016)
Wolfgang Wilhelm von Pfalz-Neuburg (4 November 1578 in Neuburg an der Donau – 14 September 1653 in Düsseldorf) was a German Prince. He was Count Palatine of Neuburg and Duke of Jülich and Berg.
|Count Palatine of Neuburg|
|Reign||22 August 1614 – 14 September 1653|
|Born||4 November 1578|
Neuburg an der Donau
|Died||14 September 1653 (aged 74)|
|Spouse||Magdalene of Bavaria|
Catharina Elisabeth Charlotte of Palatinate-Zweibrücken
Maria Franziska of Fürstenberg-Heiligenberg
|Father||Philip Louis, Count Palatine of Neuburg|
|Mother||Anna of Jülich-Cleves-Berg|
|Religion||Lutheranism (until 1613)|
Roman Catholicism (from 1613)
Wolfgang Wilhelm's parents were Philip Louis, Count Palatine of Neuburg, and Anna of Jülich-Cleves-Berg, a daughter of Wilhelm, Duke of Jülich-Cleves-Berg. He was the winner of the War of the Jülich Succession (1609–1614), and became thus the first ruler of Palatinate-Neuburg, who was also Duke of Jülich and Duke of Berg. In 1615, he was made a Knight in the Order of the Golden Fleece. Because he converted to Catholicism and practised a strict policy of neutrality in the Thirty Years' War, his territories escaped widespread destruction.
Wolfgang Wilhelm moved his residence to Düsseldorf in 1636.
Marriage and issueEdit
Wolfgang Wilhelm married three times:
- In 1613 to Magdalene of Bavaria, who gave birth to
- Philip William, his successor.
- In 1631 to Catharina Elisabeth Charlotte of Palatinate-Zweibrücken, daughter of John II, Count Palatine of Zweibrücken, who gave birth to Ferdinand Philip and Eleonore Franziska. Both children died young.
- In 1651 to Countess Maria Franziska of Fürstenberg-Heiligenberg, daughter of Egon VIII of Fürstenberg-Heiligenberg, they had no children.
- Media related to Wolfgang William, Count Palatine of Neuburg at Wikimedia Commons
- Wolfgang Wilhelm, Count Palatine of Neuburg in the German National Library catalogue
- Biography and Portrait of Count palatine Wolfgang Wilhelm von Neuburg
- Ronny Baier (2003). "Pfalz-Neuburg, Wolfgang Wilhelm von, Pfalzgraf von Pfalz-Neuburg und Herzog von Jülich und Berg". In Bautz, Traugott (ed.). Biographisch-Bibliographisches Kirchenlexikon (BBKL) (in German). Vol. 21. Nordhausen: Bautz. cols. 1163–1168. ISBN 3-88309-110-3.