Wolfe Video is the oldest and largest exclusive producer and distributor of LGBT films in North America.
New Almaden, California,
Founded in 1985 in New Almaden by Kathy Wolfe, the company began as a consumer mail order distribution company for lesbian VHS videos but has evolved over the years to become a full-service distributor of LGBT films. Wolfe releases LGBT films on DVD in North America as well as doing film festival bookings, foreign sales, US digital delivery, and broadcast sales for its library of more than one hundred feature films and dozens of shorts and documentaries.
Notable Wolfe releases over the years include the film Big Eden, the 20th Anniversary DVD release of Desert Hearts, Were the World Mine, and Thom Fitzgerald's AIDS drama 3 Needles. Significant Wolfe DVD releases in recent years include the Sundance Film Festival award-winner Undertow, the acclaimed French drama Tomboy, the praised Polish cyberthriller drama Suicide Room, the multiple award-winner Gayby, and Swedish lesbian romance Kiss Me (With Every Heartbeat). Wolfe has also released two films by the writer and director Stephen Cone, including The Wise Kids and Henry Gamble's Birthday Party.
- "Wolfe Career Achievement Award Presented to Andrea Sperling". Miami Gay and Lesbian Film Festival. 2004-05-24. Retrieved 2009-12-24.
- Smith, Nigel M. (July 31, 2012). "Wolfe Video Acquires DVD/VOD Rights to Outfest Winner 'The Wise Kids'". Indiewire. Retrieved April 22, 2016.
- Sharf, Zack (September 8, 2015). "Exclusive: Wolfe Releasing Acquires Gay Coming-Of-Age Drama 'Henry Gamble's Birthday Party'". Indiewire. Retrieved April 22, 2016.
- Schlesinger, Jessica (June 15, 2012). "Video-on-Demand Goes Gay". Curve. Retrieved February 2, 2017.
- Fernandez, Jay A. (June 8, 2012). "LGBT Distributor Wolfe Video Launches New VOD Platform With Innovative Commission Structure for Fans". IndieWire. Retrieved February 2, 2017.
- Kang, Inkoo (August 4, 2015). "Wolfe Video Donates 100 Lesbian Films to June Mazer Lesbian Archives". IndieWire. Archived from the original on February 2, 2017. Retrieved August 5, 2015.
- "Wolfe Video Donates Complete Lesbian DVD Library to June Mazer Lesbian Archives". Curve. August 3, 2015. Archived from the original on August 4, 2015.
- Movie File ‘Sharing’ Goes Legit by Kathy Wolfe, The Huffington Post, June 7, 2012.