This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (December 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Wistia Inc. is a video-software company located in Cambridge, Massachusetts. Wistia provides video-hosting solutions for business, helping businesses add videos to the web, track performance, and build and engage with their audiences using online videos. A claimed 300,000 companies use Wistia's products and services. The company employs 87 people.
|Founded||March 6, 2008|
|Founders||Chris Savage, Brendan Schwartz|
|Services||video hosting, video recording|
Number of employees
Wistia was founded in 2006 by Brendan Schwartz and Chris Savage. The two founders met at Brown University, where Chris was a film student and Brendan was a computer engineering major. The company was started in Brendan's living room. The original concept was to create a site for artists to post video portfolios. Priority shifted to businesses once Wistia acquired its first client, a medical devices company.
Wistia also raised $200,000 in debt in 2009. Previously, the company raised $1.4 million in two rounds from angel investors, in 2008 and 2010. Angel investors include a Wistia board member, Renesys CEO Ashton Peery.
Wistia makes $32M per year in revenue.
Awards and recognitionEdit
- Ditch the Venture Model, Say Founders Who Buy Out Early Investors to Make a Clear Break. The Wall Street Journal. Accessed 2018-10-02.
- "Company Overview of Wistia, Inc". Bloomberg. Bloomberg LP. Retrieved 2018-10-03.
- "Wistia". Crunchbase. Retrieved 17 October 2018.
- Engel, Jeff (2017-06-12). "As Businesses Get More Social, Wistia Moves Into Video Editing". Xconomy. web. Retrieved 2018-10-03.
- "Wistia Yearbook". Wistia. Wistia, Inc. 2018. Retrieved October 3, 2018.
- Sal Daher (9 May 2018). "Wistia's Remarkable Culture". Angel Invest Boston (Podcast). Angel Invest Boston. Retrieved 3 October 2018.
- Savage, Chris (2017). "The Three Mistakes That Have Defined Our Company". Wistia. Wistia, Inc. Retrieved October 2, 2018.
- Cruz, Victor. "Online Video Sharing and Collaboration Speeds Up Medical Device Development". ECN Magazine. Retrieved 17 October 2018.
- Roush, Wade. "Don't Put That DVD In the Mail: Wistia Helps Companies Share Video Over the Internet". Xconomy. Xconomy, Inc. Retrieved 17 October 2018.
- Devaney, Erik. "Why Wistia Said No to HBO". Thinkgrowth.org. Medium. Retrieved 17 October 2018.
- Geron, Tomio (2018-07-17). "Ditch the Venture Model, Say Founders Who Buy Out Early Investors to Make a Clear Break". The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 2018-10-03.
- O'Brien, Kelly J. (2018-07-18). "Video startup Wistia to buy out investors with $17M in debt". Boston Business Journal. Retrieved 2018-10-03.
- Notice of Exempt Offering of Securities, item 06 Acc-no:0001473673-10-000001 (Report). United States Securities and Exchange Commission. 2010-03-24.
- "Ashton Peery". CB Insights. Retrieved 17 October 2018.
- Martin, Dylan (2018-01-17). "Here Are the Best Boston Software Companies, According to G2". BostInno. Retrieved 2018-10-03.
- Staff, Entrepreneur (2017-02-17). "Medium-Sized Companies: The Best Company Cultures in 2017". Entrepreneur. web. Retrieved 2018-10-03.