Winston Frederick Sterzel (born 17 August 1980) better known by his YouTube pseudonym SerpentZA, is a South African vlogger and video producer in Shenzhen in the Guangdong province of China. Known for covering a variety of topics related to life in China from a Westerner's perspective, Winston is the first ever English-language vlogger on YouTube from within Mainland China (he began in 2007 when the website was not blocked in China).
Sterzel in Shenzhen, July 2017
August 17, 1980 |
Cape Town, South Africa
|Spouse(s)||Sasha Hu (m. 2016)|
Variations of "Bunch of nonsense"
|Subscriber and view counts updated as of October 19, 2017.|
Winston was born in Cape Town, South Africa. His maternal grandparents are from England, while his paternal grandparents are from Germany.  Winston remained in Johannesburg until February 2006, when he liquidated his assets and left for Shenzhen, where he has lived since moving to China. Sterzel started to make videos on YouTube in 2008 with a focus on motorcycle repairs. He started his China Vlogs in 2009, with the first videos specifically about Mainland China, regarding scams in Shanghai in December 2009. Sterzel also shares a YouTube channel called ADVChina with his friend Matthew Tye, who is known as laowhy86 and C-Milk on YouTube. Winston and Matthew also have their own custom motorcycle business called Churchill Custom Motorcycles.
Sterzel has starred in and helped produce two television travel documentaries, the first of which "Conquering Southern China" currently holds a 9.2 on IMDB  and is available on multiple online platforms as well as American TV. The second documentary "Conquering Northern China" was successfully crowdfunded to the total of £54,953 with a total of 2,112 backers on April 25, 2017, and principal shooting has been completed in July 2017. The show was released on December 6, 2017  In 2016, Sterzel resigned his previous job as an English teacher for doctors and started to solely rely on making videos for income.
Criticism from Chinese citizensEdit
Since 2017, SerpentZA and ADVChina's videos draw many criticisms from the Chinese Internet community, which accuse him of using sensational video titles and thumbnail pictures that objectify Chinese women and generalize Chinese people negatively as clickbait. The critics argue that the change of his video style is intended to attract more views.
China Global TimesEdit
In May 2016, China's Global Times newspaper commented in an article about Sterzel's video China, How it is - Are Chinese girls easy. The article criticized Sterzel for generalizing Chinese women and the video being borderline-racist. The video however discusses the fact that cross cultural relationships are incredibly difficult and although easy to start, specially if you are white European male, he argues from his observations, that other ethnic groups such as but not limited to Africans, Indian, Pakistani, or any kind of dark-skinned ethnic groups may find Chinese women non receptive if not extremely difficult, Sterzel then theorizes and explains, Chinese women use umbrellas during the summertime to maintain their fair skin, and aren’t interested in men with darker skin tones. furthermore he clarifies that cross cultural relationships are very difficult to maintain.  Sterzel married his 2nd Chinese national wife in 2016. Many online forums and commentators have praised Sterzel for his honesty in reporting the accurate picture of China to the world.
- "Specialist-BETTER INFORMATION CONSULTING COMPANY". www.betteric.com. Retrieved 21 July 2017.
- "SerpentZA". www.facebook.com. Retrieved 21 July 2017.
- "Winston Sterzel (@serpentza) - Twitter". twitter.com. Retrieved 21 July 2017.
- "PRD People: English Teacher Winston Sterzel | The Nanfang". The Nanfang. 2014-06-05. Retrieved 2017-03-19.
- serpentza (10 February 2017). "Expat, Sexpat, RACIST, Loser!". Retrieved 21 July 2017 – via YouTube.
- serpentza (21 May 2013). "British? South African? What's the deal?". Retrieved 21 July 2017 – via YouTube.
- "Security Check Required". www.facebook.com. Retrieved 21 July 2017.
- "3 Expats and A Two-Wheeled bike Dream - Custom Start-Up". heredg.com. 4 January 2015. Retrieved 21 July 2017.
- "Conquering Southern China (2016)". imdb.com. Retrieved 21 July 2017.
- "Conquering Northern China -- Adventure/Travel Series". Kickstarter. Retrieved 21 July 2017.
- "Watch Conquering Northern China Online". Vimeo. Retrieved 11 December 2017.
- "I'm QUITTING my job! - YouTube". www.youtube.com. Retrieved 2017-07-04.
- "如何看待youtube上的外国人serpentZA? - 知乎". www.zhihu.com (in Chinese). Retrieved 2017-07-04.
- Times, Global. "Why Westerners think Chinese girls are 'easy' - Global Times". www.globaltimes.cn. Retrieved 2017-07-04.
- "China, How it is - Are Chinese girls easy? - YouTube". www.youtube.com. Retrieved 2017-07-04.