This article is an autobiography or has been extensively edited by the subject or by someone connected to the subject. (May 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Winston Frederick Sterzel (born 17 August 1980) better known by his YouTube pseudonym SerpentZA (due to his lifetime love of snakes and the country code of South Africa which is ZA), is a South African vlogger and video producer in Shenzhen in the Guangdong province of China. Known for covering a variety of topics related to life in China from a Westerner's perspective, Winston is the first ever English-language vlogger on YouTube from within Mainland China (he began in 2007 when the website was not blocked in China).
Sterzel in Shenzhen, July 2017
August 17, 1980 |
Cape Town, South Africa
|Spouse(s)||Sasha Hu also known as Doctor Hu (m. 2016)|
Variations of "Bunch of nonsense"
|Subscriber and view counts updated as of May 8, 2018.|
Winston was born in Cape Town, South Africa. His maternal grandfather is from England, while his paternal grandfather is from Germany.  Winston Sterzel went on a three days business trip to China in 2005. Winston remained in Johannesburg until February 2006, when he liquidated his assets for approx. 50,000 Rand and left for Shenzhen, where he has lived since moving to China. He trained medical personnel in English on a yearly contract basis. Sterzel started to make videos on YouTube in 2008 with a focus on motorcycle repairs. He started his China Vlogs in 2009, with the first videos specifically about Mainland China, regarding scams in Shanghai in December 2009. Sterzel also shares a YouTube channel called ADVChina with his friend Matthew Tye, who is known as laowhy86 and C-Milk on YouTube. Winston and Matthew had their own custom motorcycle business called Churchill Custom Motorcycles. The motorbikes they ride in their videos were made by themselves. Sterzel was married to a woman from Hong Kong, who featured as beer girl in his YouTube videos, but was divorced in 2013 due to difficulties between living in Shenzhen and his wife living in Hong Kong. He has been married to a woman named Sasha Hu from Southern China since 25 May 2016. He lives in Shenzhen.
Sterzel has starred in and helped produce two television travel documentaries, the first of which "Conquering Southern China" currently holds a 9.2 on IMDB  and is available for on-demand streaming on Vimeo as well as Amazon Video. The second documentary "Conquering Northern China" was successfully crowdfunded to the total of £54,953 with a total of 2,112 backers on April 25, 2017, and principal shooting has been completed in July 2017. The show was released on December 6, 2017  In 2016, Sterzel resigned his previous job as an English teacher for doctors and started to solely rely on making videos for income which he also receives from supporters on Patreon. 
The examples and perspective in this section may not include all significant viewpoints. (May 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
In May 2016, China's Global Times newspaper commented in an article about Sterzel's video China, How it is - Are Chinese girls easy. The article criticized Sterzel for generalizing Chinese women and the video being borderline-racist.
- "Specialist-BETTER INFORMATION CONSULTING COMPANY". www.betteric.com. Retrieved 21 July 2017.
- "SerpentZA". www.facebook.com. Retrieved 21 July 2017.
- "Winston Sterzel (@serpentza) - Twitter". twitter.com. Retrieved 21 July 2017.
- "PRD People: English Teacher Winston Sterzel | The Nanfang". The Nanfang. 2014-06-05. Retrieved 2017-03-19.
- serpentza (10 February 2017). "Expat, Sexpat, RACIST, Loser!". Retrieved 21 July 2017 – via YouTube.
- serpentza (21 May 2013). "British? South African? What's the deal?". Retrieved 21 July 2017 – via YouTube.
- "Security Check Required". www.facebook.com. Retrieved 21 July 2017.
- "3 Expats and A Two-Wheeled bike Dream - Custom Start-Up". heredg.com. 4 January 2015. Retrieved 21 July 2017.
- What happened to Beer Girl?, 21 October 2015
- My Chinese Wife is a Doctor, How Did we Meet?, YouTube, 15 March 2017
- British YouTuber helps foreigners settle in China, Shenzhen Daily, 9 October 2017
- "Conquering Southern China (2016)". imdb.com. Retrieved 21 July 2017.
- Globetrotting Halesowen filmmaker tackled South China's roads for series, halesowennews.co.uk, 9 September 2016
- "Conquering Northern China -- Adventure/Travel Series". Kickstarter. Retrieved 21 July 2017.
- "Watch Conquering Northern China Online". Vimeo. Retrieved 11 December 2017.
- "I'm QUITTING my job! - YouTube". www.youtube.com. Retrieved 2017-07-04.
- SerpentZA, patreon.com
- Times, Global. "Why Westerners think Chinese girls are 'easy' - Global Times". www.globaltimes.cn. Retrieved 2017-07-04.