Winnipeg Public Library
The Winnipeg Public Library (French: Bibliothèque publique de Winnipeg) is a public library service that is provided by the city of Winnipeg, Manitoba. Branches provide programming for children, teens, and adults. The Library also contains an Outreach Department which works with the community, as well as people who cannot visit the library directly. Outreach also promotes the library to communities that are under represented in the library.
|Access and use|
|Population served||705,244 (2016)|
Visitors to the Winnipeg Public Library checked out over 5.4 million items in 2011, and 116,000 of those items were E-books. The library has both adult and children's books in over 30 languages. Select locations provide tutorial rooms for learners to use free of charge.
The library has DVD and Blu-ray collections, as well as Wi-Fi, at all twenty locations. The library provides access to over 17,000 eBooks and over 450,000 songs. There are over 300 computers available to be booked.
The staff at the library are members of the Canadian Union of Public Employees Local 500.
The Winnipeg Public Library as a public service to city reidents in 1905.
The library has branches in 20 locations in Winnipeg:
- Sir William Stephenson Library, 765 Keewatin Street
- West Kildonan Library, 365 Jefferson Avenue
- Henderson Library, 1-1050 Henderson Highway
- St. John's Library, 500 Salter Street
- Munroe Library, 489 London Street
- Harvey Smith (West End) Library, 999 Sargent Avenue (formerly at 823 Ellice Ave)
- Millennium Library, 251 Donald Street, the main branch which opened November 8, 2005, after extensive renovations
- St. Boniface Library, 100-131 Provencher Boulevard
- Transcona Library, 111 Victoria Avenue West
- Westwood Library, 66 Allard Avenue
- St. James-Assiniboia Library, 1910 Portage Avenue
- Cornish Library, 20 West Gate
- Charleswood Library, 6-4910 Roblin Boulevard
- Osborne Library, 625 Osborne Street
- River Heights Library, 1520 Corydon Avenue
- St. Vital Library, 6 Fermor Avenue
- Windsor Park Library, 1195 Archibald Street (formerly at 955 Cottonwood Road)
- Fort Garry Library, 1360 Pembina Highway
- Louis Riel Library, 1168 Dakota Street
- Pembina Trail Library, 2724 Pembina Highway
- William Avenue Library, William Avenue. Was the Main Branch until Centennial Library opened in 1977. It is one of three Carnegie libraries in Winnipeg, and functioned as the City of Winnipeg Archives till 2013 when flooding to the roof during repairs caused it to closed indefinitely.
- Coronation Library. Was one of two branches in the St. Boniface Library system. It was replaced in the late 1980s by the St. Boniface Branch.
- McPhillips Library - 1120 McPhillips Ave. - closed in 1997 when the Sir William Stephenson branch opened
- Brooklands Library - 1880 Alexander Ave. - closed in 1997 when the Sir William Stephenson branch opened
- Goldsborough, Gordon (October 18, 2005). "Winnipeg's Carnegie Library celebrates 100th birthday". Manitoba Historical Society.
- "2015 Annual Report" (PDF). Winnipeg Public Library. City Of Winnipeg Community Services Dep't. 2015. Retrieved 2019-04-28. Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; name "2015report" defined multiple times with different content (see the help page).
- "2011 Annual Report" (PDF). Winnipeg Public Library. City Of Winnipeg Community Services Dep't. 2017. Retrieved 2019-04-28.
- "2012 Adopted Operating Budget" (PDF). City of Winnipeg. City Of Winnipeg. 2012. Retrieved 2012-10-20.
- "Outreach Services". Winnipeg Public Library. Retrieved 10 August 2012.
- "@ THE LIBRARY July/August 2012" (PDF). Retrieved 10 August 2012.
- Division, City of Winnipeg : Community Services Department : Library Services. "The ideaMill - WPL Makerspace". wpl.winnipeg.ca. Retrieved 2018-11-24.
- "West End Library to Find New Home in Cindy Klassen Recreation Complex!". City of Winnipeg. Archived from the original on 2007-02-06. Retrieved 2007-03-22.