|Look up pegacorn, unisus, or unipeg in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
A winged unicorn is a fictional horse with wings like Pegasus and the horn of a unicorn. This creature has no specific name, but in some literature and media, it has been referred to as an alicorn, which is a historical, Latin word for the horn of a unicorn, especially in alchemical texts, or as pegacorn, which is a portmanteau of a pegasus and a unicorn.
Winged unicorns have been depicted in art. Ancient Achaemenid Assyrian seals bear depictions of winged unicorns and winged bulls as representations of evil. But sometimes, winged unicorns were representation of light element or sides with the light.
Irish poet W. B. Yeats wrote of imagining a winged beast that he associated with laughing, ecstatic destruction. The beast took the form of a winged unicorn in his 1907 play The Unicorn from the Stars and later that of the rough beast slouching towards Bethlehem in his poem "The Second Coming".
In popular cultureEdit
- A character named Whisper appears in Whisper, the Winged Unicorn (sticker book, 1983), story by Karen Styles, and Whisper's Golden Friend (sticker book, 1986) by Jill Wolf.
- In Hasbro's My Little Pony Tales episode "Up, Up and Away", Dazzleglow, a leader of extra terrestrial creatures of pegasi, has a unicorn horn. The character's colour and other appearance is based on a Glow 'n Show unicorn character of the same name released during the original generation of the My Little Pony toy line, but the Tales incarnation of Dazzleglow with a pair of wings was never released as a toy.
- Arthur features a winged "My Fluffy Unicorn" toy that D.W. names "Uni" is the focus of "Hic or Treat" when she considers giving it to the Tibbles.
- In Valkyria Chronicles (2008), the princess Cordelia wears a winged unicorn hat.
- In the universe of My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic, winged unicorns,[note 1] which are rare and powerful, play a role as ponies of royal status in Equestria. It was also the first time winged unicorns were released as a part of My Little Pony toys. Such characters in this incarnation include Princesses Celestia, Luna, Cadance, Twilight Sparkle (formerly a unicorn until "Magical Mystery Cure") and Flurry Heart.
- In Sofia the First episode "Baileywhoops", Cedric turns a merry-go-round of unicorns into winged ones. The episode "The Mystic Isles" features winged unicorns.
- In Little Charmers episode "A Charmazing Race", Hazel Charming's racing broom has a unicorn horn and wings.
- In 2016, video game heroine Cora Veralux is depicted wearing a winged unicorn turtleneck as a cadet.
- Ever since their introduction in Fire Emblem Gaiden in 1992, members of the "Falcon Knight" class in the Fire Emblem series ride winged unicorns.
- In the earlier seasons of the My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic television series, the species is not specifically named; for example, the sisters Celestia and Luna were referred as unicorns in first season's premiere episode "Friendship Is Magic - part 1" despite having wings. However, an amulet with a pair of wings and a horned head of a horse is referred as the "Alicorn Amulet" in the third season's fifth episode "Magic Duel" (written by M. A. Larson), and the species is explicitly named "alicorn" in its season finale "Magical Mystery Cure" (also written by Larson).
- Shepard, Odell (1930). The Lore of the Unicorn. London: Unwin and Allen. ISBN 9781437508536.
- Brown, Robert (2004). The Unicorn: A Mythological Investigation. Kessinger Publishing. p. 18. ISBN 9780766185302.
- Von Der Osten, Hans Henning (June 1931). "The Ancient Seals from the Near East in the Metropolitan Museum: Old and Middle Persian Seals". The Art Bulletin. 13 (2): 221–41. JSTOR 3050798.
- Ward, David (Spring 1982). "Yeats's Conflicts with His Audience, 1897–1917". ELH. 49 (1): 155–6. JSTOR 2872885.
- Tokimeki Tonight. Episode 4. 4 November 1982.
- Whisper the Winged Unicorn
- Whisper's Golden Friend
- Princess of Power Magazine issue 2. April 1986.
She-Ra and her winged unicorn Swift Wind
- "Hic or Treat". Arthur. Season 11. Episode 142. 4 September 2007.
- Faust, Lauren. "Friendship Is Magic - part 1". My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic. Season 1. Hasbro Studios.
- Larson, M. A. "Magic Duel". My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic. Season 3. Hasbro Studios.
- Larson, M. A. "Magical Mystery Cure". My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic. Season 3. Hasbro Studios.
- "Baileywhoops". Sofia the First. Episode 41. 7 November 2014.
- Charming, Hazel (29 January 2016). "A Charmazing Race". Little Charmers. 7 minutes in.
It's my unicorn wings, they want to fly over all the rainbows like unicorns do.
- Ratchet and Clank (film). 64 minutes in.