Wind power in Mexico
Mexico is rapidly growing its production of wind power. As of 2016, its installed capacity had reached 3,527MW. As of 2008, there were three wind farms in the country. The Eurus Wind Farm was the largest wind farm in Latin America. 18 of 27 wind farms construction projects were based in La Ventosa in the Isthmus of Tehuantepec in Oaxaca. According to the Mexican Wind Energy Association, Mexico was predicted to progress to rank twentieth worldwide in wind capacity by the end of 2012, and to produce four percent of the country's total electricity production. It also projected that the nation would have 12 GW (16,000,000 hp) of wind generation capacity by 2020, and would be able to provide fifteen percent of Mexico's production. Brian Gardner, Economist Intelligence Unit's energy analyst, said, "With strong wind through the south, consistent sunlight in the north and a stable market, Mexico is well positioned for continued renewables growth". Wind power is in partial competition with Solar power in Mexico.
|Oaxaca Wind Resource Map|
|Northwestern Mexico Border Areas - 50m Wind Power|
- Mexican wind energy association numbers.
- "IEA Wind Energy: Annual Report 2008" (PDF), www.ieawind.org, International Energy Agency, Chapter 23. Mexico, pp.239-251, Jul 2009, ISBN 0-9786383-3-6, archived from the original (PDF) on 20 Jul 2011
- Acciona Completes Assembly of LatAm’s Largest Wind Farm Latin American Herald Tribune.
- "Which Country is Seeing the Biggest Growth in Wind Energy?". Sustainable Business.com. 14 May 2012. Retrieved 28 June 2012.
- Duncan Wood, Samantha Lozano, Omar Romero & Sergio Romero. "Wind energy on the border — a model for maximum benefit" Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars, May 2012. Quote: "wind energy projects that have been developed in the southern state of Oaxaca. There, the wind currents that cross the Isthmus of Tehuantepec"
- Mohit Anand (5 April 2016). "Solar Stuns in Mexico's First Clean Energy Auction: 1,860MW Won at $50.7 per MWh". Retrieved 12 April 2016.