Wilts & Berks Canal Trust
The Trust is the successor to the Wilts & Berks Canal Amenity Group (formed in 1977) and a founder member of the Wilts & Berks Canal Partnership, which embraces the Trust, the local authorities for the areas through which the route of the canal passes, statutory bodies, and other interested parties. The Trust's headquarters are at Dauntsey Lock, adjacent to the canal between Chippenham and Royal Wootton Bassett.
The Trust originated in 1977 as the Wilts & Berks Canal Amenity Group whose remit was to protect what remained of the canal, and restore short sections for their amenity value.
The first Wilts & Berks Canal Trust (W&BCT) was formed in 1997. Wilts & Berks Canal Amenity Group was a founding member of the Trust together with North Wiltshire District Council, West Wiltshire District Council, Swindon Borough Council, Vale of the White Horse District Council, Oxfordshire County Council and Wiltshire County Council. In 1998, the Trust published a feasibility study commissioned by North Wiltshire, examining the restoration of the full route together with the North Wilts Canal. However, the structure of the Trust prevented them from applying for certain funds and grants, and it was wound up in 2001.
The Trust re-emerged as a member of the Wilts & Berks Canal Partnership in 2001.
To protect, conserve and improve the route of the Wilts & Berks Canal, North Wilts Canal, and branches, for the benefit of the community and environment, with the ultimate goal of restoring a continuous navigable waterway linking the Kennet and Avon Canal near Melksham, the River Thames near Abingdon, and the Thames and Severn Canal near Cricklade.
- Charity Commission. Wilts & Berks Canal Trust, registered charity no. 299595.
- "Wiltshire Core Strategy Consultation: Topic paper 11: Green infrastructure" (PDF). Wiltshire Council. January 2012. Retrieved 19 March 2019.
- "Contact us". Wilts & Berks Canal Trust. Retrieved 19 March 2019.
- Squires, Dr. Roger (1983). The New Navvies. Chichester, Sussex: Phillimore. pp. 123–124. ISBN 0-85033-364-4.
- Scott Wilson Kirkpatrick & Co Ltd (January 1998). "Restoration of the Wilts & Berks Canal" (PDF). The Wiltshire Swindon & Oxfordshire Canal Partnership. Retrieved 19 March 2019.
- "About the Trust". www.wbct.org.uk. Retrieved 21 November 2010.
- "Support grows for canal campaign". Swindon Advertiser. 20 March 2007. Retrieved 10 November 2008.
- "Duchess' canal role". Swindon Advertiser. 9 June 2006. Retrieved 10 November 2008.