He has been called a “master of synthesis”  and is one of the important Perennialist writers in the present day. For many years he was assistant editor of the British journal Studies in Comparative Religion. He has translated into English, from the original French or German, several of the books of the perennialist masters Frithjof Schuon (1907–1998) and Titus Burckhardt (1908–1984).
Stoddart has written several books, for clarity's sake, the books he helped translate are not listed.
- "Outline of Sufism: The Essentials of Islamic Spirituality" (World Wisdom, 2013)
- "What does Islam mean in today's world?" (World Wisdom, 2012)
- "Remembering in a World of Forgetting" (World Wisdom, 2008)
- "Invincible Wisdom" (Sophia Perennis, 2007)
- "Hinduism and Its Spiritual Masters" (Fons Vitae, 2006)
- "The Essential Titus Burckhardt: Reflections on Sacred Art, Faiths, and Civilizations" (World Wisdom, 2003)
- "Outline of Buddhism" (Foundation for Traditional Studies, 1998)
- "Outline of Hinduism" (Foundation for Traditional Studies, 1993)
- "Religion of the Heart: Essays Presented to Frithjof Schuon on His Eightieth Birthday" (Foundation for Traditional Studies, 1991)
- "Sufism – The Mystical Doctrines and Methods of Islam" (Paragon House Publishers, New York City; Revised edition, 1985, ISBN 0-913757-47-0)
- See "The Peregrine Falcon", by Mateus Soares de Azevedo, in the Canadian journal Sacred Web, number 35, Summer 2015
- Sophia, Volume 4, Number 2, Winter 1998