William Henry Harrison High School (West Lafayette, Indiana)
For schools with a similar name, see Harrison High School (disambiguation).
William Henry Harrison High School (HHS) is a four-year public high school in Tippecanoe County, Indiana near West Lafayette. It was established in 1967 when a school consolidation project merged Klondike, Battle Ground, and East Tipp High Schools; its first academic year was 1970-1971. The school is part of the Tippecanoe School Corporation.
|William Henry Harrison High School|
|5701 North 50 West
West Lafayette, Indiana 47906
|Type||Public high school|
|School district||Tippecanoe School Corporation|
|Teaching staff||99.00 (FTE)|
|Student to teacher ratio||17.93|
|Athletics conference||North Central|
HHS is named for William Henry Harrison, 9th president of the United States, who led US forces in the Battle of Tippecanoe in nearby Battle Ground, Indiana. It is accredited by the North Central Association of Secondary Schools.
Harrison High School is a member of the North Central Conference and offers students 21 varsity sports, including 10 for boys and 11 for girls. Girls track (’74), football ('92), baseball ('95) and boys soccer ('17) have won state championship titles.
Harrison has over 450 students enrolled in eight bands (Symphonic, Wind Orchestra, Chamber Winds, 3 Jazz, Pep, and Militia Marching Band) and five choirs (Beginning, Concert, Myriads, Chamber, & Jazz). They routinely engage in various music festivals, domestic travel, and international student exchanges.
Harrison also has a theater program. Its students perform both a musical in the spring and a play in the fall.
In addition, Harrison High School performs in a variety of academic competitions, including Quiz Bowl, National Science Bowl, Spell Bowl, Indiana Math League, Academic Super Bowl, Foreign Language Quiz Bowl, and the FIRST Robotics Competition.
The demographic breakdown of the 1,734 students enrolled for the 2013-2014 school year was:
- Male - 50.2%
- Female - 49.8%
- Native American/Alaskan - 0.2%
- Asian/Pacific islanders - 2.4%
- Black - 2.4%
- Hispanic - 9.4%
- White - 82.4%
- Multiracial - 3.2%
24.6% of the students were eligible for free or reduced lunch.
- Eric Bruntlett (Class of 1996), former Major League Baseball player
- Todd Dunwoody (Class of 1993), former Major League Baseball player
- Amanda Elmore (Class of 2009), rower
- Josh Lindblom (Class of 2005), Major League Baseball pitcher
- Ian Murdock (Class of 1991), software engineer and founder of the Debian project
- Erik Sabel (Class of 1993), former Major League Baseball pitcher
- Julia Scheeres, author and journalist whose memoir Jesus Land relates her experiences at Harrison
- Josh Whitman (Class of 1997), former NFL football player
- "Search for Public Schools - School Detail for William Henry Harrison High Sch". ed.gov. Retrieved 2 November 2017.
- "AdvancED - Institution Summary". advanc-ed.org. Retrieved 17 August 2016.
- "2017-18 IHSAA Class 3A Boys Soccer State Tournament (Class 3A State Championship) - MaxPreps". www.maxpreps.com. Retrieved 2017-11-03.
- "IHSAA State Championships by School". ihsaa.org. Retrieved 2 November 2017.
- "Eric Bruntlett Stats". Baseball Almanac. Retrieved December 27, 2012.