The Wilkes University Election Statistics Project is a free online resource documenting Pennsylvania political election results dating back to 1796.
Type of site
|Created by||Harold Cox|
Currently, the database documents Pennsylvania's county-level vote totals for President, Governor, United States Senator, and Congressional elections back to 1796. The database also contains directories for members of the Pennsylvania Provincial Assembly and the Pennsylvania General Assembly, dating back to 1682.
According to the database's designer, Wilkes University Professor Harold Cox, "No other state has anything like it." The project's impetus began in 1996, when Cox inquired about 19th century election statistics, only to find that the data would cost $1,000.
The project has been cataloged by the Pennsylvania State University Libraries and the Van Pelt Library at the University of Pennsylvania. It has been cited as a source in academic books about the Supreme Court of the United States, Communist politicians in Pennsylvania, and a survey of state-level political parties.
- Jones, Mark E. (July 26, 2004). "Free election history database a feast for party animals". Times Leader. Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania: The Wilkes-Barre Publishing Company. Archived from the original on 2004.
- "Pennsylvania Election Statistics". staffweb.wilkes.edu. Retrieved 5 October 2018.
- "Pennsylvania Statistics & Data". Penn State Research Guides - Politics & Elections. Pennsylvania State University Libraries. 2009-02-24.
- "U.S.Elections: Historical and Contemporary - Research Guide". Penn Research Guides - Election Statistics. Van Pelt Library at University of Pennsylvania. 2008-04-23.
- Marcus, Maeva; James R. Perry (2007). "Irvine v. Sims's Lessee". The Documentary History of the Supreme Court of the United States, 1789-1800: Cases, 1798-1800 (8th ed.). Columbia University Press. p. 176. ISBN 978-0-231-13976-2.
- Howard, Walter T. (January 28, 2005). Forgotten Radicals: Communists in the Pennsylvania Anthracite, 1919-1950. Lanham, Maryland: University Press of America. p. 282. ISBN 978-0-7618-3090-0.
- Dubin, Michael J. (July 18, 2007). Party Affiliations in the State Legislatures: A Year by Year Summary, 1796-2006. McFarland & Company. p. 223. ISBN 978-0-7864-2914-1.