Wikipedia talk:WikiProject International Development
|This is the talk page for discussing improvements to the WikiProject International Development page.
|WikiProject International development||(Rated Project-class)|
|This talk page is automatically archived by MiszaBot I. Threads with no replies in 90 days may be automatically moved.|
An accessible WikiProject, to create a widely accessible resourceEdit
I have started this WikiProject with a few aims in mind:
- Make an entry point for people interested in development, including those not yet involved in Wikipedia.
- Keep the barrier to entry low (like Wikipedia in general - anyone can edit it). The people who have the most to contribute may be busy people. So before getting into membership and details, the first section after the intro has some links (to the stub category and the to-do list) that let people get straight into the interesting stuff rather than reading a long project page and jumping through hoops.
- The main motivation for me is to develop a comprehensive and accessible resource which people everywhere can use to improve their own lives. I'm sure there are many Wikipedians and others who share that motivation. Crucial to achieving this is that it can be translated into other languages. Wikipedia is a good platform for that, and it's something we'll look at as the pages are developed. I'd like to see some serious translating into major languages of the less developed world, starting in 2006. I think that's possible, and it's something to aim for.
A point about the layout of the project page: To avoid having an extremely long (and ever-changing) list of articles, the Articles section links to the category pages where the articles are found. I want to emphasize that I don't have any feeling that I own this project or any article. This is for everyone - ultimately it's for the world, especially those without clean water & sanitation, with limited resources... and also for everyone concerned about the state of our planet and the need for sustainable development. --Singkong2005
'Empowering women' under PovertyEdit
I noticed that there's only one short paragraph under the section 'empowering women' under the poverty field. I think this does not do justice, since women comprises of 70% of world's poor and the majority of the 1.5 billion people living under $1 a day or less are women. It should either have the 'women empowerment' section as the see also or explore deeper into the effect of poverty reduction on women's status, such as education and health benefit , higher status within the family , and less domestic violence .
Addition of Poverty and Disability ArticleEdit
|This article is the subject of an educational assignment at Rice University supported by the Wikipedia Ambassador Program during the 2012 Q4 term. Further details are available on the course page.|
I am an undergraduate at Rice University interested in adding to the information provided by Wikipedia on issues regarding special needs in an international context. I intend to create an article entitled “Poverty and Disability,” which will explore the relationship between and implications of the prevalence of disability in impoverished areas. Currently information on this topic is entirely absent from the Wikipedia community. The relationship between poverty and disability is especially important to explore given the likelihood that an individual will have special needs is far greater in environments where resources are the least conducive to accommodating their needs. I intend to look at this correlation in depth, in addition to exploring the impact of disability in areas of concentrated poverty, structures in place to address the needs of these populations, initiatives targeting those affected, and strategies to curtail this correlation. At this time I have researched the findings of the United Nations, the British Department for International Development, and the World Bank, alongside numerous country-specific studies. I would greatly appreciate suggestions on any additional resources you recommend I look to for beneficial information on the subject. I would also love any input that you may have on the creation of this page and exploration of this topic. Thank you for your time!
Request for feedbackEdit
Hello, I'd like to request feedback on the following draft: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Draft:Global_Sustainable_Tourism_Council
- Garikipati (2008). "The Impact of Lending to Women on Household Vulnerability and Women's Empowerment: Evidence from India". World Development. 36 (12).
- Goetz (1996). Who takes the credit. Unknown parameter
|author=suggested) (help); Missing or empty
- Kabeer (2004). Globalization, labor standards, and women's rights: dilemmas of collective (in)action in an interdependent world. Missing or empty