Wikipedia talk:Featured topics/Solar System< Wikipedia talk:Featured topics
|This page serves as a project discussion for the Fully featured topic, Solar System. Every article in this topic is featured if possible.
Appropriate discussion on this page includes:
|WikiProject Astronomy||(Rated Project-class)|
|WikiProject Solar System||(Rated Project-class)|
Objects within, and history topics related to the Solar System.
All current articles are FAs.
- Dwarf planets
- Main asteroid belt—needs the addition of other large asteroids: 511 Davida, 52 Europa and 704 Interamnia, asteroids with satellites and those visited by spacecraft.
- Sun — Structure of the Sun ( Solar core, Chromosphere, etc.), Features of the Sun ( Corona, Sunspot, etc.), Heliosphere, Solar wind, Solar deity, Solar eclipse, Sunlight
- Mercury — Geology, Exploration, Atmosphere, Albedo features
- Venus — Geology, Atmosphere, Observations and explorations, Colonization
- Earth — Moon, History of Earth, Geological history of Earth, Structure of the Earth, Atmosphere of Earth, Earth's magnetosphere
- Mars — Geology, Atmosphere, Geography, Moons, Life on Mars, Colonization, Exploration
- Saturn — Titan, Iapetus, Rhea, Dione, Mimas, Enceladus, Tethys, Atmosphere, Magnetosphere, Rings, Moons, Exploration
- Uranus — Titania, Miranda, Ariel, Umbriel, Oberon, Atmosphere, Climate, Rings, Moons, Exploration
- Neptune — Triton, Discovery, Rings, Moons, Trojans, Atmosphere, Exploration
- Formation and evolution — Nebular hypothesis, Stellar evolution, Stability of the Solar System, Nice model, Late Heavy Bombardment, Andromeda–Milky Way collision
- Discovery and exploration — Timeline of discovery of Solar System planets and their moons, Planets beyond Neptune, Vulcan, Timeline of Solar System astronomy, Timeline of Solar System exploration, Heliocentrism, Giant-impact hypothesis, History of Solar System formation and evolution hypotheses, Planetary migration, Human spaceflight, Geocentric model
- Trans-Neptunian object — Neptune trojan, Kuiper belt, Scattered disc, Detached object, Oort cloud, Plutoid
- Comets — Kreutz sungrazers, Main-belt comet, Oort cloud, Halley's Comet, Comet Hyakutake, Comet Hale–Bopp, Comet Shoemaker–Levy 9, Giotto, Stardust, Deep Impact, Great comet, Lists of comets
- Pluto — Moons of Pluto, Charon, Nix, Hydra, Planets beyond Neptune, New Horizons
- Haumea — Moons of Haumea, Haumea family, Controversy over the discovery of Haumea
- Moons of Jupiter — details at Wikipedia talk:Featured topics/Jupiter
- Minor planet – Asteroid, Centaur, Trans-Neptunian object, Dwarf planet
- Ring systems — Rings of Jupiter, Rings of Saturn, Rings of Uranus, Rings of Neptune, Rings of Rhea
- Natural satellites — Moon, Moons of Jupiter, Moons of Saturn, Moons of Uranus, Moons of Neptune, Moons of Haumea, Moons of Mars, Moons of Pluto, Dysnomia (moon), Minor-planet moon
These are not technically part of the Solar System topic.
- Planet – Terrestrial planet, Gas giant, Rogue planet, Exoplanet, Definition of planet, Nebular hypothesis, Planetary habitability
- Definition of planet – Planet, Dwarf planet, Small Solar System body, IAU definition of planet, Clearing the neighbourhood, Hydrostatic equilibrium, Double planet, Geocentric model, Heliocentrism, Brown dwarf
- The ultimate scope of this topic and subtopics (not included above)
This topic could go on forever, so it would help to delineate what will and will not eventually be included. Here's a list of possible candidates; please add or take away anything you feel is necessary:
- there are 12 other spherical moons, and one moon (Proteus) that is large enough to be spherical but isn't.
- there are at least 40 other objects in the outer Solar System that are large enough to be spherical, but are not likely to be classified as dwarf planets because they can't be seen in enough detail to determine their sphericity 100 percent
- other significant minor planet populations
- various molecular elements to the Solar System, including solar wind, interplanetary medium, heliosphere, interplanetary dust cloud, cosmic dust, meteoroids.
- other "Moons of" articles: Moons of Pluto, etc
- I think for the sake of cleanness we should use this section as the talkpage.
- The ice giants interest me, but I'm not sure I have time for them now. Double sharp (talk) 13:32, 30 January 2015 (UTC)
- OK, here is some serious thought about my dear Uranus and Neptune. For Uranus the needed articles are Miranda (which should be something like Ariel and I think we could get Serendipodous involved as noted on the talk page), the atmosphere and the climate (both look fairly good and atmosphere of Uranus is already at GAN – though there may be new stuff that was found between 2011 and 2017, which I shall have to go and check), and the exploration. For Neptune, it is the discovery (a field day for POV-pushers, I would imagine), the trojans (shouldn't be too different from the Jupiter trojans, except the less is known), and the exploration. I think I'll go for Uranus first, as there seems to be some activity there already. Double sharp (talk) 14:38, 25 July 2017 (UTC)