Wikipedia:WikiProject Computing/Computer networking task force
|This task force is believed to be inactive. |
Consider looking for related projects for help or ask at the Teahouse.
If you are not currently a project participant and wish to help you may still participate in the project or its parent project WikiProject Computing. This status should be changed if collaborative activity resumes.
|recent Computing-related changes|
This is computer networking task force, a place created to better organize information in articles related to computer networking. If you would like to help, please add your username at the bottom of the § Participants section below and take a look at the § Tasks section for improvement ideas.
Covering all articles related to computer networking. Networks rely heavily on protocols, and that is the primary focus, but it should also include models (e.g., OSI model), hardware, and applications. Like all good Wikipedia articles, each computer networking article should explain the basics (such as what an IP address is) as well as the technical details (such as packet structure).
- WikiProject Internet
- WikiProject Computer science
- WikiProject Telecommunications
- WikiProject Software
- Zscole (talk · contribs) TCP congestion control, Software-defined networking, SD-WAN
- Stutya (talk · contribs)
- Cburnett (talk · contribs) 18:37, 5 March 2006 (UTC)
- Vap0rtranz (talk · contribs) — heterogeneous networks, technical translation, helpdesk, Linux
- Mange01 (talk · contribs) 08:50, 7 November 2006 (UTC) — Scheduling algorithms, physical layer and data link layer issues, wireless communication.
- Mancini (talk · contribs) 16:37, 26 November 2006 (UTC) much of the articles under Category:Network management
- Boscobiscotti (talk · contribs) 04:39, 8 May 2007 (UTC) Ethernet over twisted pair, IEEE_802.11, VLAN Ethernet Switch
- thefirstM (talk · contribs)
- akc9000 (talk · contribs) Routers Host (network) Routing protocol, IMP June 2007, monitoring Routing
- Namanmishra10000 (talk · contribs)
- Naveenpf (talk · contribs)
- Denis tarasov (talk · contribs) wireless networking, traffic enginering, sattelite communications, Ethernet, MVDS etc.
- Staffwaterboy (talk · contribs) 12:46, 25 March 2008 (UTC)
- Lanilsson (talk · contribs) Wireless_mesh 22:06, 8 May 2008 (UTC)
- Tinucherian (talk · contribs) 08:16, 9 May 2008 (UTC)
- Melab-1 (talk · contribs) 23:58, 7 July 2008 (UTC)~
- Pgallert (talk · contribs) routing and switching, general principles
- QuackCD (talk · contribs) (talk) 01:30, 7 January 2009 (UTC) VoIP and other Voice-y type Network Topics.
- kgrr (talk · contribs) 22:06, 18 January 2009 (UTC) IEEE member, wireless network engineer, phy/mac, switching, networking, Wi-Fi...
- Koman90 (talk · contribs) 22:34, 12 March 2009 (UTC)
- Andrewcrawford (talk · contribs) - Majortiy of networking from thoery to pratical - BSc Comptuer Networking
- Kvng (talk · contribs)
- Gl1d3r (talk · contribs)
- W163 (talk · contribs) Jeff Ogden, aka W163 22:19, 23 March 2011 (UTC)
- Tenretnieht (talk · contribs) : IPv4 , IPv6 , DNS , DNSSEC , Classless Inter-Domain Routing
- Nageh (talk · contribs) bits across everything :) 13:42, 22 April 2012 (UTC)
- W Nowicki (talk · contribs) May 2013
- Ozhu (talk · contribs) 19:51, 10 July 2013 (UTC)
- HLachman (talk · contribs), programmer from a different century. July 2013.
- Ngriffeth (talk · contribs) 19:49, 11 June 2014 (UTC)
- IveGoneAway (talk · contribs) airborne embedded systems PHY and MAC; CAN, AUTOSAR, I²C, UART, SPI, Modbus, SCPI
- Tara Zieminek (talk · contribs)
- ImperfectlyInformed (talk · contribs) 23:29, 3 July 2016 (UTC) - web application developer interested in lower level details.
- tommiie (talk · contribs)
- ExoticViolet (talk · contribs) ExoticViolet (talk) 14:42, 10 June 2020 (UTC)
- Infograbber19 (talk · contribs) Network Engineer - Infograbber19 (talk) 09:51, 20 September 2021 (UTC)
- Justanotherintrovert (talk · contribs)
The general style guide for computing articles, Wikipedia:Manual of Style/Computing, should be followed.
Each networking technology article should include a minimum set of standard elements, as follows:
- General description
- References and external links. cite sources!
- Appropriate categorization. See Wikipedia:Categorization.
Here are a few ideas for how to organize articles. These do not necessarily have to correspond to the actual section headers and divisions, and they are no more than suggestions. Conform to them to help improve the article in question.
A protocol-specific article:
- History of the protocol
- Who started it
- When was it started
- What revisions were there
- Any related or defining RFCs?
- What other protocols were kept in mind when designing this protocol? (e.g., TCP to SCTP)
- Packet structure
- Any related technical discussions (e.g., fragmentation and reassembly for IPv4)
A hardware-specific article:
- What is it used for (what protocols, versions, etc.)
- Hardware features
- List of manufacturers & models
Talk page project templateEdit
|WikiProject Computing / Networking||(Rated Project-class)|
This task force has not yet created any infoboxes. Consult the talk page for more information.
WP 1.0 Assessed ArticlesEdit
|Computer networking articles by quality and importance|
|WikiWork factors (?)||ω = 14,073||Ω = 5.07|
- 0 articles in Category:Computer networking articles needing expert attention.
Interior Gateway Protocol: The link state vs. distance vector material is not appropriate here, because those ideas are not specific to IGPs. Maybe merge the remaining material (of which there is very little) into routing protocol? Or can people envision more material for this article? --Nethgirb 20:03, 29 July 2007 (UTC)
- Access network: This article might be of interest to the networking task force. Please consider triage. Hvaara T∞C 11:54, 5 December 2014 (UTC)
- Improve accessibility and reduce length of Communications protocol ~KvnG 17:03, 8 December 2014 (UTC)
- Improve Ethernet toward good article by addressing  requests. ~Kvng (talk) 19:53, 11 March 2021 (UTC)
- Network scheduler improvements as discussed on talk page ~Kvng (talk) 14:37, 20 November 2015 (UTC)
- Tagging articles for the project in relevant categories.
- WP 1.0 Assessment of both quality and importance.
- Improving quality and getting a few articles to FA and GA articles.
- Outreach : Attract new members who might be interested and possibly start a bi-monthly newsletter.