|This is a WikiProject, an area for focused collaboration among Wikipedians. New participants are welcome; please feel free to participate!
Welcome to WikiProject Cemeteries. Several Wikipedians have formed this collaboration resource and group dedicated to improving Wikipedia's coverage of Cemeteries and the organization of information and articles on this topic. This page and its subpages contain their suggestions and various resources; it is hoped that this project will help to focus the efforts of other Wikipedians interested in the topic. If you would like to help, please add yourself as a participant in the project, inquire on the talk page, and see the to-do list, below.
Our goals are aligned with the Wiki Cemeteries User Group:
- Improve quality of articles and Wikidata entries related to cemeteries
- Collaborate around the scope of cemeteries with existing Affiliates
- Connect with new partners and editors, specifally in the field of traditional genealogy
- Understand cultural sensitivities around the theme of cemeteries
- Represent cemetery culture, including the role of caretakers and specialty items (e.g. flags for veterans, flower wreaths), across Wikipedia Projects
|To-do list for Wikipedia:WikiProject Cemeteries:|
Primary contact(s): ?
Please feel free to add yourself here, and to indicate any areas of particular interest.
- Shushugah (talk) I am interested in documenting cemeteries in my area (Berlin), including taking photos. I have done so at Mount Carmel Cemetery (Queens) in the past already. Am excited for this new WikiProject 20:17, 31 March 2021 (UTC)
- FULBERT (talk) (I am interested in improving the inclusion of cemeteries from across the globe on Wikipedia)
- Darwin Ahoy! (I am interested in working on working with cemeteries on the projects Commons and Wikidata, mostly)
- Maor X (I am mostly interested in documenting lesser-known cemeteries, especially but not only Jewish cemeteries)
- Rosiestep. I'm interested in the junction of society+cemeteries, the junction of history+cemeteries, and the junction of art+cemeteries. I'm interested in the integration of Wikipedia, Wikidata, WikiCommons, and cemeteries. I'm interested in AI as a tool to support this WikiProject, e.g. using AWB to tag all the cemetery talkpages with the WikiProject cemeteries talkpage banner, and e.g. using ORES to review and help us rate all the cemetery articles. I'm interested in how m:Wiki Cemeteries User Group could support this work, e.g. collaborating with external organizations (e.g. developing new editors), collaborating with geography-based Affiliates (e.g. holding photo events). --Rosiestep (talk) 18:15, 29 March 2021 (UTC)
- Srich32977 – I've been digging graves for a few years/decades now.
- Daniel Case I have written a number of articles about listed cemeteries and graveyards for WP:NRHP that remain on my watchlist. Daniel Case (talk) 14:16, 31 March 2021 (UTC)
- Chongkian interested in cemeteries/mausoleums of Taiwan, mainland China, Hong Kong, Macau and Malaysia. Chongkian (talk) 00:50, 23 July 2021 (UTC)
- Darwinek interested in old cemeteries of Europe, particularly Central Europe.
- User:Maile66 I'm fascinated by old cemeteries in the United States, and I've written a few articles on them - both NRHP and non-NRHP. It's interesting to me how these old cemeteries give testimony to populations that may have long ago vanished. — Maile (talk) 20:07, 11 September 2021 (UTC)
- GlenTheYid I created the page for our local cemetery, Enfield Crematorium, where my father works, and have been helping to clean up the whole category as a whole.
- Dwkaminski I've created and updated several articles on cemeteries in the greater Philadelphia region. Working through updating/improving the notable burials of Laurel Hill Cemetery. Up to "H"...
- Medarduss Not created any pages for cemeteries yet, but going to start editing and creating some now! Especially interested in cemeteries in Germany and Oxford. Medarduss (talk) 19:21, 9 May 2022 (UTC)
Please feel free to list your new Cemeteries-related articles here (newer articles at the top, please). Any new articles that have an interesting or unusual fact in them, are at least over 1,500 characters, don't have any dispute templates on them, and cite their sources, should be suggested for the Did you know? box on the Wikipedia Main Page.
Did you knowEdit
|A fact from WikiProject Cemeteries appeared on Wikipedia's Main Page in the Did you know? column on 5 February 2022 (check views). The text of the entry was as follows:
Review and assessmentEdit
|Cemeteries articles by quality and importance|
|WikiWork factors (?)||ω = 9,360||Ω = 5.07|
To manually update this table, enter Cemeteries in the WP 1.0 tool.
|To display all subcategories click on the "►":|
Cemeteries (23 C, 22 P)
Cemeteries by city (34 C)
Cemeteries by continent (8 C)
Cemeteries by country (123 C)
Cemeteries by ethnicity (8 C, 2 P)
Cemeteries by religion (4 C)
Lists of cemeteries (7 C, 28 P)
Animal cemeteries (2 C, 13 P)
Cemetery art (36 P)
Art Nouveau cemeteries (1 C, 12 P)
Burials by cemetery (45 C)
Catacombs (3 C, 23 P)
Cemetery vandalism and desecration (1 C, 53 P)
Churchyards (3 C, 2 P)
Fiction about cemeteries (3 C, 7 P)
Former cemeteries (1 C, 36 P)
Mass graves (7 C, 48 P)
Military cemeteries (21 C, 31 P)
National cemeteries (4 C, 33 P)
Necropoleis (2 C, 28 P)
Rural cemeteries (159 P)
Vehicle graveyards (2 C, 6 P)
Cemetery stubs (8 C, 126 P)