Wikipedia:Village pump (miscellaneous)
The miscellaneous section of the village pump is used to post messages that do not fit into any other category. Please post on the policy, technical, or proposals sections when appropriate, or at the help desk for assistance. For general knowledge questions, please use the reference desk.
Discussions are automatically archived after remaining inactive for a week.
|« Archives, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67|
Women jazz singers categoryEdit
Not sure if this is the proper venue for this question, but perhaps you can advise. Since the renaming of [[Category:Female jazz singers]] to [[Women jazz singers]], are juvenile female jazz singers intended to be excluded from the category? Or are they to be considered young women? I don't expect that this issue will come up often but it has at Baby Esther (date of birth uncertain), who was at most 16 y.o. and perhaps only 12 when she faded into obscurity. Ewulp (talk) 01:12, 8 September 2021 (UTC)
- @Ewulp, despite what someone might reasonably wonder if you spend much time reading political stuff, we're not trying to pass judgment on anyone's womanhood or lack thereof. Put that singer in that category if you think people looking at that category might be interested in that article, and leave it out if you think it's irrelevant. WhatamIdoing (talk) 16:41, 9 September 2021 (UTC)
62 munite audio documentary to translate from Swedish - important sourceEdit
I have 62 munite audio documentary to translate from Swedish (download). From what I heard there can be a lot of important information for Basshunter biography. I'm not sure if it is possible to find anyone to listen it and translate yet if it's not fan. Eurohunter (talk) 15:38, 10 September 2021 (UTC)
Call for Candidates for the Movement Charter Drafting Committee ending 14 September 2021Edit
Movement Strategy announces the Call for Candidates for the Movement Charter Drafting Committee. The Call opens August 2, 2021 and closes September 14, 2021.
The Committee is expected to represent diversity in the Movement. Diversity includes gender, language, geography, and experience. This comprises participation in projects, affiliates, and the Wikimedia Foundation.
English fluency is not required to become a member. If needed, translation and interpretation support is provided. Members will receive an allowance to offset participation costs. It is US$100 every two months.
We are looking for people who have some of the following skills:
- Know how to write collaboratively. (demonstrated experience is a plus)
- Are ready to find compromises.
- Focus on inclusion and diversity.
- Have knowledge of community consultations.
- Have intercultural communication experience.
- Have governance or organization experience in non-profits or communities.
- Have experience negotiating with different parties.
The Committee is expected to start with 15 people. If there are 20 or more candidates, a mixed election and selection process will happen. If there are 19 or fewer candidates, then the process of selection without election takes place.
Will you help move Wikimedia forward in this important role? Submit your candidacy here. Please contact strategy2030 wikimedia.org with questions.
This message may have been sent previously - please note that the deadline for candidate submissions was extended and candidacies are still being accepted until 14 September 2021. Xeno (WMF) 17:16, 10 September 2021 (UTC)
Talk to the Community TechEdit
As we have recently announced, we, the team working on the Community Wishlist Survey, would like to invite you to an online meeting with us. It will take place on September 15th, 23:00 UTC on Zoom, and will last an hour. Click here to join.
- How we prioritize the wishes to be granted
- Why we decided to change the date from November 2021 to January 2022
- Update on the disambiguation and the real-time preview wishes
- Questions and answers
The meeting will not be recorded or streamed. Notes without attribution will be taken and published on Meta-Wiki. The presentation (first three points in the agenda) will be given in English.
We can answer questions asked in English, French, Polish, and Spanish. If you would like to ask questions in advance, add them on the Community Wishlist Survey talk page or send to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Join online
- Meeting ID: 898 2861 5390
- One tap mobile
- +16465588656,,89828615390# US (New York)
- +16699006833,,89828615390# US (San Jose)
- Dial by your location
Participate in the Universal Code of Conduct Roundtable on 18 September 2021Edit
The Movement Strategy and Governance facilitation team is hosting Roundtable discussions on 18 September 2021 at 03:00 UTC and 15:00 UTC for Wikimedians to talk together about how to enforce the Universal Code of Conduct . These calls are part of the Universal Code of Conduct project Phase 2 Enforcement draft guidelines review (EDGR).
Each session will last for 90 to 120 minutes and translation support for various languages will be provided. Also, sessions in specific languages may also be held depending on demand. Community members are encouraged to sign up in advance and add the topic to discuss during roundtable session.
For more information, please visit roundtable discussion information page at Meta-wiki.
- @Xeno (WMF), SGrabarczuk (WMF), and JKoerner (WMF): You collectively just sent about seven pages of MassMessage announcements to this one VP page in a single week. I am not certain, but I suspect this is really bad for the flow of the forum. (To say nothing of what's happening in other languages' Village Pumps, which look like they're being completely crowded out of their own discussion fora by these things...) There are a lot of ways to limit the amount of space taken up: avoid large block-display eye-catching icons, omit the "in other languages" link on English wikis, shorten the wording and keep extraneous content behind a link, reconsider whether a MassMessage is really necessary for each point, avoid redundant/repetitive messaging, and generally try not to grab attention from people who don't want to give it. Please consider making use of them? Thanks. --Yair rand (talk) 18:25, 12 September 2021 (UTC)
Obsolete split proposal?Edit
- @A. C. Santacruz, I've removed it – seems it was added by @Fgnievinski (who is still active on the project, hence the ping), but no discussion ever took place. AngryHarpytalk 11:36, 16 September 2021 (UTC)
Tully Monster PopularityEdit
I saw that Tullimonstrum was a very popular article yesterday from the mobile app "most read" card. Can anyone explain why? I haven't been able to find the source of the popularity. -- Veggies (talk) 02:01, 15 September 2021 (UTC)